Steps-Landing?

I have one room that leads to a second. The second room is about 2 feet below the first. The door swings into the first room and then you step down into the 2nd room. The rooms are both "engineering rooms" with equipment and such, no access for the general public.

Do I need a landing outside the door(inside the 2nd room), or can I have the first step at the level of the 1st room, then a second step, then the floor of the second room? Too much rise for each step (~10"), should there be 3 steps? I'll put a handrail on one side (the doorknob side).

thanks,

charles

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Last I knew, As long as the "engineering" spaces are sufficiently small, (both in size and occupancy) you can use a vertical ladder, a ships-ladder, or an alternating tread stair, but you need to have a handrail on both sides, you will need to mark the shit out of the doorway and stairs, and the door should open away from the dropoff (Or slide).

Reply to
Goedjn