steam heat - slow

Ive lived in a 1940s cape for 4 winters and have had an issue with the steam heat. It takes about 45 minutes for the radiators to heat up and begin producing heat. The boiler was cleaned out the last 2 years and radiator steam valves have been replaced. The house is small ~1400 sq ft.

When the boiler turns on it takes about 10-15 min for the heat to begin rising out of the pipe towards the radiators. It seems to travel through the pipes very slowly. The pipes are pitched towards the boiler and the radiators are also pitched to drain properly.

Any tips on what may be causing the heat to travel so slowly and what I can do to correct the issue? I tried keeping the water level at 1/4 but it didnt help.

Reply to
briand

The water level must be at the proper level indicated for the boiler. At the typical low pressure of a steam system, there is a time lag but 45 minutes does seem excessive.

Are the pipes original? I can imagine tat the inside of the pipes is very corroded and partly blocked. If that is the case, they'd have to be replaced. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Does it maintain a comfortable even temp, if it does why worry, I have tennants always complaining the radiators are cold but the temp could be 74. I would not lower the water below what it should be. New boilers hold less and can heat up faster. What brand of valves were used you can get Dole adjustable, or Gorton that come in different sizes but forget the cheap ones, Usualy complaints are on balancing and cold radiators.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks for the feedback. Overall the system works good and all of the radiators let out a good amount of heat once the heat reaches them. I can live with how it currently works. Just checking to see if I can save a couple bucks on oil this season. I filled up earlier this week at 2.37 a gallon.

Reply to
briand

Getting someone to tune the burner can help save so can using adjustable vents to keep unused rooms cooler. Best is insulation, Insulating steam pipes will help get the heat up sooner and keeop the basement cooler.

Reply to
ransley