Stack Venting

Hi i am in the process of replaceing my plumbing in my house, my question is if i install a bathroom in my basement do i have to vent the sink sepreatly or can i stack vent it? The sink is less than 12 feet from the stack, do i also have to vent the upstairs sink or is it ok to be stack vented like the existing system? my other question is what size should a floor drain be? I am from ontario canada

Thank bill

Reply to
bmarr

IANAP, but it is my understanding that this would be a bad idea -- the vent for the sink should connect to the stack above the highest fixture in the house. It would be easier and cheaper and (to my understanding) better to just use one of those re-vent devices with the one-way air vent. Hide it in a wall behind the sink, or somewhere similar, and provide adequate air flow into the wall cavity.

Reply to
kevin

Not sure about this so check with a plumber...

You may not need a vent at all for the sink in the basement. There are times when you are within a certain distance of underground drains a vent is not needed.

Reply to
RayV

It depends, among other things, how big the existing soil stack is, and what's hook up to it on the upper floors.

Simplest thing to do would be to run a separate pipe up alongside the existing soil-stack, connected above the flood level of the highest fixture, and tie all the things that you are considering hooking to the soil stack to that. THat makes sure that everything's vented but you don't need an extra roof penetration.

Reply to
Goedjn