Spray painting pottery.

Swimbo wants two pot lamps to be spray painted (She is the arbiter of taste around here; I merely do the conversions). When I sprayed the lamps with a lacquer there was an immediate 'crawling' effect of the paint on the surface. It looked like a severe case of fish eyes, as if I had painted over a very greasy surface. I removed the paint with lacquer thinner, washed the pot surface again with the thinner, then tried a spray applied primer. Same result. This effect is like someone had sprayed the pot with silicone anti-foam. It is an extreme example of surface tension in action.

Can anyone suggest a primer which might not crawl on this surface?

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

It sounds like form release agent.

When the wrong release agent or curing compound is used on a concrete floor that is incompatible with floor adhesives, you wash the floor down with muriatic acid followed by plenty of rinsing or shot blasting the floor.

You might try an intense washing with soap and water and a scotch brite pad before the muriatic method.

arbiter of taste

lamps with a

painted over

primer. Same

silicone

action.

surface?

Reply to
DanG

Suggest trying Zinsser Seal Coat prior to muriatic acid. Seal Coat is

2# dewaxed shellac that is used to undercoat many f>It sounds like form release agent.
Reply to
nospambob

Acetone, is the finish cleaner that I use because it evaporates completely. Thinner is not a cleaner. Rubbing Alcohol might work as well, not Isopropyl which has water in it. Start with TSP, let dry and then Acetone. Please do this outside. Acetone is pretty aggressive.

Reply to
SQLit