Speaking of front load washers

While we're talking about front load washers, what's with the price of the drawer pedestals sold to raise them up??? Buying two of them adds $400-500 to the price! This has got to be an ADP (additional dealer profit) type item....

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Of course. And I just built a matching platform out of 2x10s and plywood, spray painted to match the appliances color. Cost me about $50 for all the materials and 2 hours of labor.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Screw the peds, get the stack. Separate units side by side is a waste of space. Put a full wardrobe / cabinet in the space vacated by the extra box.

Reply to
Pete C.

How do you stack them? Is it some kind of steel frame skeleton you must buy?

Other option is to get ONE machine that does BOTH washing and drying

Reply to
me

It depends on the machines / manufacturer. There are some models that are designed to operate side by side or stacked, while others are an integral one piece factory assembled stack design. Single unit washer/dryers aren't very common.

Reply to
Pete C.

Nor are they very effective according to Consumer Reports. Must be why thyare not very common.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, you do gain some floor space, but at what price? Being 6' 5", I am spoiled with the pedestal that raises both washer and dryer up to a level where I don't have to strain my back loading and unloading laundry.

Then I put cabinets above both units for storage, and my wardrobe closet is elsewhere.

Just my thoughts; of course, YMMV.

Reply to
Kyle

I was thinking the same thing. I have cabinets over the washer and dryer that go up to the ceiling, with a small bar in between for hanging up clothes. Far more useful storage than I'd have if I had just one vertical cabinet the width of the dryer. I'd be constantly bending over and lifting heavy items and have no hanging space. Again, YMMV.

Reply to
<h>

Most stackable units either come with a bracket or have a bracket kit available as an option.

My experience with those in the UK is that they do a poor job at both washing and drying.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

On Wed 12 Mar 2008 06:07:09p, Rick Blaine told us...

They&#39;re also quite limiting time-wise, since you have to wait for a complete wash/dry cycle to complete before doing another load. Separate units allow for putting a load of wash in while a previouisly washed load is in the dryer. ...But I guess that&#39;s obvious. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I would prefer ONE box that does both wash and dry, heck I would buy two if it worked really well.

people will happily pay for convenience today with our rush rush lives

Reply to
hallerb

In that case, you should go ahead and replace your water heater with a TANKLESS model as money is apparently no object.

The all-in-one washer/dryer combo is notoriously expensive and inefficient. They are often found in RVs. I have yet to hear anything good about them.

Jim Redelfs

When we travel in Europe, we rent an apartment, and the combined units are very common there. All those we have used have cleaned well, but are relatively slow in drying. We just do a load overnight, and one while we are out during the day. Its worth it because we don&#39;t have to haul as many clothes with us.

When I suggested one for our home, my wife objected since she likes to get all the laundry done in one day a week, rather than spending multiple days because of the long time the combined unit takes to finish one load. She also likes having a lot of space on top of the units for a work surface.

If gas prices keep going up, I may get her a clothesline.

Reply to
Not

"Not@home" wrote in news:8NhEj.41730$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.lga:

I line dry as much as possible. The clothes don&#39;t get worn out so fast as using a dryer all the time. You just have to plan ahead when you need the clothes. If you have children this may be hard to do.

Reply to
Marina

On Wed 19 Mar 2008 08:55:09p, Marina told us...

If you live in an area where there are spontaneous and unexpected dust storms, it&#39;s not a very practical idea. You just have to wash them again. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9A69F3FC344C5wayneboatwrightatari@69.28.173.184:

LOL I also have a small space inside for line drying. In the winter with low humidity some things can take less than 1 day to dry. In the summer with

80% humidity, well it can take a few days. Big items like towels/sheets then I use a dryer. It also helps to only have 1 person in the household,too. :)
Reply to
Marina

Another strategy is to buy clothes that are not all cotton..... they dry faster and wrinkle less

Reply to
me

re: ONE machine that does BOTH washing and drying

Unless you&#39;ve got 4 kids and usually have both the washer and dryer going at once. One unit would really slow us down.

Then there&#39;s the fact that we all have some items that get hung up, so we&#39;d have to be ready to dig them out before the dry cycle began. Besides the timing issue, it&#39;s much easier to do while transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

-- Another strategy is to buy clothes that are not all

-- cotton..... they dry faster and wrinkle less

Or go naked - dries fast, but still subject to wrinkling.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

innews:Xns9A69F3FC344C5wayneboatwrightatari@69.28.173.184:

Summer has never been a problem for me with drying, as there&#39;s always some sort of breeze. But, oh my good God, when I was a kid my mother would hang clothes outside in the middle of Winter, and when you brought the sheets inside you could stand them on edge until the finally warmed enough to fold...

Reply to
Kyle