spdt switch/outlet?

Perfectly fine, as long as it's switching a load of 15A or less. Switches are matched to the loads they control, not to the breaker.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can't make assumptions about the load.

What if the load is defective and drawing 20 amps.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Then the switch may fail. It is not designed to "switch" at 20A but it certainly wouldn't catch fire.

Reply to
metspitzer

And *you* can't rewrite the National Electrical Code to suit your personal misconceptions. I'm not merely giving my opinion: I'm telling you what the

*Code* says. Read Article 404.14.

That would be "mak[ing] assumptions about the load", of course.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No it isn't. It is asking what if that occured. Anything can occur with the load.

Do you even know why circuit breakers exist?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Nomad

Write a proposal to change the code. Be sure to submit your pictures of dead bodies.

Really dumb question. Doug likely knows a lot better than you.

------------------ BTW Doug, IIRC the new code requires common disconnect for all poles of a multiwire branch circuit. I think that was one of your pet peeves. You may have already seen it. There was actually a dead body associated with the change.

Reply to
bud--

Nomad

Yeah. Great ways to legally have light switches catch fire.

Reply to
AZ Nomad