spacing 4x4 ceramic tiles

The chimney wall in the kitchen is 17 1/2 inches wide. The tiles are actually 4 1/4 inches square.

I plan to use bullnose tiles on each end. At one end I would need to lay in a 3/4 inch piece of bullnose and that's where I see a big problem.

If I center the first tile in the middle so that the center of the tile itself is on the center line and use a full bullnose on each end that would leave me 2 pieces to fill in which would be cut to about 2

3/4 inches. I would sand the cut edges to a small curve.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there way to cut off 3/4 inch pieces so I don't break the tile without using a wet saw; that is, scoring and snapping.

Pj

Reply to
Pj

The layout sounds reasonable. Not sure why you feel a need to "sand" ceramic tile edges - really isn't necessary if you make clean cuts.

Cut off 3/4" from a 4 1/4" tile leaving 2 3/4"? Or do you mean cutting the bullnose?

In any event, the big box stores will cut the tile for you. Go at an odd hour so they're not super busy, and the tile aisle guy will cut them gratis.

RicodJour

While I would prefer to use a tile saw to make the cut, I have used a tile cutter (score and break) to cut many pieces of tile in my life. Usually the smaller 3/4" piece will break and the larger remainder will stay intact. Always buy a few extra pieces for when things go wrong.

If you do not have an excessive number the BORG may cut them for you as another person suggested.

Reply to
Colbyt