spa question

I put a new cover on a spa about three months ago. My manager tells me that there is an odor that has permeated the cover. We keep it clean, and bromine in it. Maybe someone with BO, or something has gotten in there. Any ideas as to how to neutralize this? I thought of beer equipment sanitizer, as that is non toxic, and can be ingested in small quantities. Not sure of how it is on the skin, tho. Other thoughts? What about Febreeze?

TIA

SteveB

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

SteveB

You could spray the cover with Lysol or similar spray. But if the odor has gotten inside the insulation in the cover, which is probably

4+ inches thick, it probably isn't going to go away easy. Never heard of this happening before with a spa cover. Have you contacted the cover manufacturer?
Reply to
trader4

Some vinyl just stinks (smells like vomit) in this case smell will just go away. A couple of summers ago my wife harvested the tomatoes just before we went on vacation. She had intended to leave them with our neighbor but left them on top of the hot tub. We found them two weeks later. Scrubbed and treated with vinyl conditioner. Took a couple of weeks for the smell to go away. Also smelled like vomit. Sunshine really helps.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Have they drained, rinsed, changed filters and refilled? It is a several hour job- but cures a lot of ills with little expense.

I can't imagine how a cover would get permeated with a smell. All the ones I've seen are vinyl and that doesn't hold much of a smell other than its own.

Antything you add to the water is liable to throw off the chemistry for a while.

Try a post here-

There is a cover manufacturer that posts a lot of helpful advice. [his avatar says 'roberts hot tubs' - but he never 'sells' that I've seen]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Its probably mold, Bleach kills mold .

Reply to
ransley

So your 'manager' told you there was an odor. Have you confirmed it? If so can you describe it better? That might yield some clues.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

So your 'manager' told you there was an odor. Have you confirmed it? If so can you describe it better? That might yield some clues.

Joe

I smelled it, and I would just describe it as kind of like foot odor. I'm going to suggest that he 1. hyperchlorinate it with the cover on at full heat for 12 hours, then 2. pull the damp cover, and let it sit in the Las Vegas sun, underside towards the sun for a few days. It was put on in the fall, so hasn't really gotten cooked by the Vegas sun. The spa has not been neglected, is cleaned regularly, drained often, sometimes after every guest, has not gone without chemicals for any length of time, nor anything else that would cause this.

I personally think it is some sort of manufacturing chemical or plastic that just needs to offgas until the smell is gone. It's a freaking new expensive regular spa cover. Unless they used improperly treated nauga hides .........................

SteveB Heart Surgery coming? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

SteveB