Source for dimmable CFL spots?

I have 18 mini can's in my basement ceiling that hold PAR30 50W halogen bulbs. These are all on a dimming circuit in two banks.

I have been looking for a dimmable CFL replacement spot bulb for this application but I cannot find any that 1) fit this size can and 2) are dimmable.

Can anyone make any recommendations as to which manufacturer MAY have a dimmable replacement?

TIA

Bob_M

took about 10 seconds on google ? compact fluorescent + dimmable + r30

and
This compact fluorescent is a Uniflood R40 or R30. These are a dimmable compact fluorescent reflector that can be used with a standard incandescent dimmer. They're available in wattages from 11, 15 and 20 watts replacing up to a 100 watt incandescent flood. Made to fit in almost any place that a regular flood light would go. The Uniflood compact fluorescent reflector is a little more of an investment initially, but you only have to change the bulb inside, not the whole unit. The face opens and it is instant-on with an electronic ballast.

these are flood vs spot but beggars acan't be choosers

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

I have yet to see a 20 watt CFL produce much more than a good 75 watt incandescent or a 100 watt one of noticeably compromised light output (super long life 130V ones or junky dollar store ones or the worse offbrand ones).

Please also keep in mind that CFL floods don't produce the same beam as an incandescent flood, especially not R30 (R40 is not as bad). And if anyone makes a CFL spot, it will not come close to an incandescent spot, although things get more alike when you have several of them with beams merging into each other.

If you keep these in mind, go ahead and you won't be disappointed.

- Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com,

Don Klipstein

Thanks Wayne and Don.

I did search through google and actually have been visiting and monitoring some of the manufacturers' sites about these models.

First of all, the reason I wish to change from Halogen to CFL is for both heat reduction and energy reduction. Then my cans are rather small meaning that a normal PAR30 bulb fills the entire can, edge to edge, top to bottom and I do not wish to have any part of the bulb exposed below the ceiling line for safety sake. That means there is just about 5" of depth max to work with.

Because I have 18 cans in the ceiling the pattern or the lumens output is not as important. However, the dimmer ability is because all these cans are on the same two dimmers.

I will certainly look at the link(s) recommended but if anyone has anyother input I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

Only order a couple at first (instead of 18). I've tried dimmable compact fluorescent lights before and they buzz and flicker quite a bit when dimmed compared to incandescent or halogen lights.

Reply to
Jonny R