Soundproofing a room?

Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100% soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises carrying from room to room.

Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this? thanks,

Reply to
BOB

Egg cartons would achieve the same result.

Reply to
Jon

Hi, That's neat idea, coffee take-out trays or egg trays. Very good acoustic material!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Homasote board will deaden some sound as well (it's basically compressed cellulose). If you can find some cheaply enough, cork does a nice job of this too.

Reply to
louie

Are you asking about acoustical separation of one room to another or about dampening sound created within the room? TB

Reply to
tbasc

Sound has some basic principals that you can use to lessen the noise

1) Sound loves hard surfaces (helps it bounce around) -Soften the room to obsorb more sound 2) Sound will travel where air leaks (Change doors or get rid of the air space) 3) Sound travels in waves (Soft materials that are diamond shaped will break this wave and obsord it.

Things that work for absorbing sound

1) Sound deadning insulation 2) Sheets of drywall hung on Z channel isolators 3) Sound Board 4) Egg carton foam 5) heavy soft rugs or sheets about an inch away from the wall (You'd be amazed)

Reply to
HotRod

How cheap is cheap, and do you/ not want to open/ patch the wall? When my bro who lived w me was learning to play sax, we pulled off panelling and had cellulose blown into walls. This was a rental. Landlady arrived in the middle of this and nearly had a heart attack. I also opened up hollow door and filled it w corkboard, which my bro got free from company that was chucking it. Helped a lot. If you don't want to open/patch wall, I'd agree with above.

Reply to
Sev

Reasonable acoustically, but quite a fire hazard. Make sure they are painted with some fire retardant paint to avoid RI nightclub syndrome.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

To add to that read:

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

John‰]

But consider that those trays are both flammable and give off toxic gases when burning.

Reply to
George

I think the trays in question are the molded paper pulp variety which are certainly flammable but I don't believe have any particular toxic gas issues.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, but they are flammable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Recent issue of Journal of Light Construction has an in depth article on this topic. Pick up a copy or it might be available for a couple of $ from their web site:

Article title is "Innovations in sound control".

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I'm asking about reducing the noise heard from _one room_ so that other areas of the home cannot hear the noise, or at least cannot hear it as much as now.

Reply to
BOB

I always thought cork would be best, but I see now that other materials can be used as well. thanks for the info guys, again :-)

Reply to
BOB