Sound proofing/deading

My husband and I recently moved into a new home. We love the house. But it sits next to a steep hill to one side. We're thinking of planting a row or 2 of evergreens, I thinkg they're called abortives..? to help screen the road noise.

We're also going to add the thickest type of curtain we can find. But I'm mostly hoping the evergrees will help a great deal not only with privacey but with cutting the noise in half.? Any one have such a vegatative screen and does it help..? Thanks.

Reply to
K Y

I have three rows of arborvitae, standing 25 foot tall, which screens a road to the side of our property. It is a very effective visual screen, but it does little for the road noise. Insulated doors, and modern double or triple glazed windows make the biggest difference.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

We have a porch that 'screens' the second floor effectively. Our third floor, without porch gets much more street noise.

Can you build a deck or similar structure between you and the road?

tbasc

No a deck would not be feesable.

After doing some more reading these things grow too slow to work before our grandchildren are born.

Hubby put in one row so far for a visual screen wehn they do grow in.. I think I'll try real heavy draperies as were still using some temps from our old home.

We were in a hotel not long ago that had them and when I moved the curtain back you could hear the diff. We do have double pane glass, but its not widly spaced double pane..

Anyone using heavy draperies for sound. If so were do u get heavy ones?

Reply to
K Y

On Mon 05 May 2008 06:10:47p, K Y told us...

There are insulated and sound deadening drapery available. The effective part is in the lining, not the surface fabric. Roc-Lon is one such brand of lining. Search for "sound deadining drapery".

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"K Y" wrote

If it helps, layered drapery also works well. Thats where you have an inner layer and an outer layer.

As a college student long ago, I had an apartment a bit like you describe. Having little money, I used a set of flannel flat sheets for an inner layer against the windows and 'behind' the fairly thick ones the apartment came with. It helped fair amount more than just the thick ones alone. Grin, I'm sure you can get more fancy than a flannel sheet but I was a poor college student....

Reply to
cshenk

s alone. =EF=BF=BDGrin,

a white noise generator indoors can also help, since its consistent and drownds out the engine tire variable sounds.

espically good when sleeping, eventually you will adjust and your brain ignore the noise

Reply to
hallerb

A sheet of Acrilic-plexiglass attached to the window will do the most, carpet and the correct furniture and rug wall hangings will absorb sound. But now im sure it warm and you need fresh air.

Reply to
ransley