Sorta OT truck liftgate

I have an old hydraulic liftgate that I am installing on one of my old pickups. There is no name plate or anything on it. The pump is empty and I need to find out what kind of fluid they typically use== hydraulic jack fluid, ATF, or what. If anybody here knows, I would be very greatful for any advice. Thanks Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Any hydraulic fluid should be fine. I'd use one rated for ag use or similar, though, not one identified for hand jacks. I use Citgo CT-5 in everything from the boom lift thru the large JD transmission/hydraulics as it's what the supply house I trade at carries in bulk.

I sold the truck w/ the Maxon lift but I'd have used it in it as well...

Reply to
dpb

I'm sure someone here will know, if not, ask at rec.crafts.metalworking. Lots of good folks there, with tons of info you can probably use. Just ignore the knee deep political scum, and take the valuable parts. If you're into welding, sci.engr.joining.welding is a great group, but far less political stuff, as the trolls don't get a lot of bites there and therefore ignore it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

any and all those electric over hydraulic pumps i've EVER seen on dump beds , and lifts etc., take ATF.

steve

good old universal tractor hydraulic fluid will work also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

dpb wrote: ...

That's a typo, sorry, it's JT-5

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the replies and info. I will see if I can find the Citgo stuff this weekend. Would a "real" auto parts house (Napa etc, as opposed to AutoZone and the like) be likely to have it or an equivalent? If not, there is a Tractor Supply not that far from here, and other heavy equipment places I could go to if need be. Thanks again Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

NAPA I'd certainly think, yes. I don't know about the others; never set foot in door other than for stuff like wiper blades or thereabouts if not at home...

How large a reservoir does your lift have? It's been long enough since had the rear lift I don't recall what it held. The truck bed-hoists are about 5 gal tanks but the tail lift was probably somewhat smaller.

Any hydraulic rated for more than just hand-jack use will be fine; the hand-jack oil would probably be as well other than it's just the "be sure" factor of it holding up to the mechanical pump over extended time I'd be concerned with.

W/ all the farm equipment the volumes are such here keep it on hand in

30-gal drum quantities...

--

Reply to
dpb