Solar shades? Any recommendations?

I was hoping to get some recommendations on installing solar shades. Can it be done by myself or does anyone have any recommended companies in the Dallas Fort Worth Area?

Also, what is an approximate cost on these things?

thanks Mark

Reply to
mjaggers

Do you mean cellular and with sealing track of R 3.5-5. If you use them on south exposures with dual pane check your glass warranty first, it may or may not be advised as daytime heating will trap heat affecting the glass

Reply to
m Ransley

What do you mean by solar shades? B

Reply to
Brian O

I guess a better name for them would be solar screens. Basically screens that go over your windows to block out heat and UV. Here is an example

mjaggers

All screens reduce solar heat gain, and visability. I remove mine in winter. But I would realy worry about how much your visability is reduced and their claim of energy reduction for an average home, you wont save what they claim. Now interior cellular shades work, up to R 5, your best dual pane lowE is only r 3.5 so you can more than doulbe R value. Screens help only a bit with sun, Cellular shades help winter summer day or night

Reply to
m Ransley

I've tried using films with some success. One recommendation, use lots of fluid/spray and do it during the warm season. The film slides better and contracts the window better.

hth,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom