The air handler tray in my attic overflowed, and by the time I realized what
was happening it had soaked the ceiling in a closet below it. (I had been
hearing an ominous dripping for several days without being able to discover
the source.) The A/C technician came yesterday and fixed the drain and
removed the water in the attic with a shopvac. This morning I noticed that
it was still dripping, so I poked a hole and drained out quite a bit of
water that had collected.
Will it eventually dry out and be OK, or will I need to have the ceiling
replaced? As soon as it stopped dripping I put a floor fan in the closet and
directed it upward.
I need advice from someone more knowledgable about drywall than myself.
depends somewhat on where you live. If far enough north and low
humidity, you might be able to dry things out fast enough to not have
mold growing. On the other hand, if it is hot and humid like along
the Gulf Coast, you may have mold problems. Spraying everything in
sight with a mixture of 1/2 bleach, 1/2 water might stop mold from
Since the drywall is in a closet, I assume it is not typically seen by
others. That means you have a good opportunity to learn how to either
install new drywall or patch what is there. Since you were able to remove a
fair amount of water by poking a hole in the drywall, at least some of the
drywall will never quite regain its hardness even after all the water
evaporates. Cut that part out and patch it. If you do not do pretty job,
you should be okay as long as it functional and you will have learned
from the experience.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.