Security Light Mounting Problem

Hello,

Hope I can explain this fairly clearly.

Have the typical round flood light security-light to illuminate my driveway.

It has the round flange mounting, and meshes with the round electrical box that is mounted Under a small overhang at the garage door. I think this is called an eave. There is enough adjustment in the light's arm to point it down the driveway, even though it is an under eave-type configuration.

Here's the problem:

I want to replace it with one of those rectangular security light fixtures, that have the linear Halogen bulb in it.

Some of the smaller (150 W) units say for eave or mounting on the siding. The bigger units (300 W or 500 W) only say for siding mounting. Some specifically say not for eave mounting. Can't understand why the didn't make it for both; would have been very easy to. Doubt that it is a heat dissipation concern; they just weren't smart enough, I guess, to make it for both types of mountings.

Before I make this into a bigger job than necessary, thought I'd ask here first.

I guess I am looking for an electrical box that is in essence a right angle, that will pick up the existing eave electrical box, and allow me to mount the new unit against the opening that would be horiz, thus simulating a siding type of mounting.

All the openings, and the new unit's flange/cover plate are round.

Anyone know of any RedDot, or other brands, of boxes that would provide this right-angle configuration ? Or, any other suggestions on how to do it ?

If you do have a box suggestion, a link to it would be most appreciated.

Much thanks, as always, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Heat *is* the problem, a 500W halogen fixture mounted 3 or 4 inches below vinyl soffit will readily melt it. Look at the similarly shaped fixtures that use flat CFL lamps for a better option.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hi Pete:

Thanks for reply, and advice on CFL lamps. Never considered them.

Very approximately, from a light/lumen output, how many watts for a CFL type bulb would be equivalent to, e.g., a 300 watt linear Halogen ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Nominally, CFLs use 25% of the power of an incandescent for roughly the same output. Looking at Lowes and Depot, it appears that the CFL floodlights use 65W flat CFL lamps, and cost about $45 for the fixture with lamp.

The lighting from a CFL is less harsh and more evenly distributed than a halogen floodlight, so in the installations I've seen they seem to give a larger usable illuminated area.

Reply to
Pete C.