Snowbirds: House plant maint. question

-> Note: Someone in an RV group recommended that I post this here,

-> complementing your NG for having many great ideas.

->

-> We travel pretty regularly in our RV, and have recently bought a winter home

-> in AZ. When we're away for up to two months, our house plants (in WA)

-> somehow survive, with a good soaking when we leave, along with placing them

-> so they'll get enough light, but not burn up. They're awfully thirsty by

-> the time we come home.

->

-> Now that we expect to be gone for longer periods, we need some kind of

-> automatic, indoor watering system. We need to shut off our house water

-> while we're gone, to avoid potential disaster, since our house is somewhat

-> remote. In other words, whatever we get will need to be battery operated

-> (winter power outages are common) and draw water from buckets/tank/whatever.

-> So far, what I've found doesn't have enough capacity to do the job. We

-> simply have

-> too many plants, which will suck up a lot of water in three to five months.

-> It's not practical to have someone go to our house, nor do we want to impose

-> that on anyone, especially when they wouldn't have water to use for

-> themselves (not to mention our complicated alarm system).

->

-> Does anyone here use an automatic system, or have a brainstorm for how we

-> could keep these poor plants happy? Some of them are decades old... we'd

-> hate to do them in. Thanks for your input.

->

-> Unc

Would it be practical to set the plants in the bathtub with plenty of water? You could also leave a "portable" flourescent light on in that bathroom for artificial sunlight.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

How about this automatic watering system from Hammacher Schlemmer?

Ev Dugan

It looks real nice, but as I mentioned, I'd need at least three of them.... BTW, it sells for $10 less at most other sites, and $20 less at one.

If this unit had a big, industrial-strength brother, it would work. I have

50 plants and may need to auto-water them for up to 150 days.
Reply to
uncle k

Just buy a small junk water heater (no leaks but don't need heating elements) and fill,it 3/4 with water and compressed air head. You then have a pressurized water supply, but with limited volume (whatever you put in it).

Reply to
Nick Hull

replying to uncle k, Maiden wrote: Best way to 'keep' your house plants is to water them well for a couple of days before you leave. Make sure the water drains and not soaking the soil. Then wrap them in clear plastic garbage bags and seal them. Move them out of direct sunlight. They will be fine for 2 months.

Reply to
Maiden

Thanks, we've been waiting 15 years for the solution.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it was a potted tree, you may need bigger bags all taped together.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Ok so you leave for Ontario on April 15 and your plants are in a bag. I guess that means they will have only been dead for 7 months when you get back in January.

Reply to
gfretwell

You don't "seal" the bag. That said, I look after my friend's place when he heads to Texas at Christmas and returns about Easter. I water his plants about 2 times in that time. And his are not bagged.

Reply to
Clare Snyder