smoke from neighbor's condo - coming thru electrical outlet

Isn't it duct (not duck) tape?

Reply to
Joe Jones

On 2/13/2005 12:40 PM US(ET), GFRfan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

willshak

Maybe if you have 'duck' wallpaper the 'duck' tape might match and not look so bad. Maybe you could use some of that 'duck' tape to seal up the 'duct' work too.

Reply to
GFRfan

Not sure...dont even know who they are! Just passed by their apartment and smelled the wafe of smoke coming from underneath the door...so thats how i know where its coming from

Reply to
Zwanz of Never

Thanks. That's interesting. Now I can't chastise the wife any more for calling it Duck tape.

Reply to
GFRfan

Joe Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

It's supposed to be. But I've seen them selling it as Duck for the people who don't know what Duct is. TaskProperties

Reply to
TaskProperties

The wiseass answer is four layers of duct tape. More practical, the other folks have the right idea with the foam cutouts.

I'm wondering if that's going to really solve the problem, but it's better than nothing.

Aerosol "Ozium" from the auto parts store works fairly well on smoke odor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's "Duct" Tape.

  1. Don't use expanding foam (fire hazard)
  2. The best way would be to wrap the box in 6 mill vapour barrier Unfortunatly not an option in your situation. Stuffing the area aroun the outlet box would appear to be the most viable solution. Use "Roxul Insulation for that application. This product will not burn. It i available at any building supply store.
  3. It probably wouldn't hurt to go and speak to your neighbor. B FRIENDLY!!! You will get better results.
  4. If you allow your landlord to do this work, make sure you are thei to supervise. You don't need a bad situation made worse.

Good luck

-- Bevingto

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bevington's Profile:

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to
Bevington

You can get fireproof expanding foam (doesn't expand much) intended for fireproofing electrical feed thrus, I have some.

A little vinegar will make the smoke smell disappear.

Reply to
Nick Hull

If you inject some phosgene under their door it will make cigarettes taste real bad. ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Yes! This worked for me when I lived in a condo above smokers.

Reply to
Sam Marlison

Not something to screw around with

Clark Griswold

How long do you have to soak the smoekrs in vinegar?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are kits for leakproofing an outlet in an outside wall, to keep the cold air from coming in. (Look for energy-saving things at the hardware store.) The same thing should work here.

Reply to
mc

If your home is really a condo, then you don't own the interior wall and the best you can do is to cover the surface of the outlet. If it were me I'd involve the condo board and ask them to seal up the leaky walls anywhere they exist.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

They make sealing kits for outlets/switches on exterior walls to prevent cold air infiltration. My 1st attempt would be to try one of these.

Dan

Travis Jordan wrote:

Reply to
Dan

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:sTnZd.1322218$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

It depends on the condo. My sister owns her walls.

Reply to
JJ

Not true in our neck of the woods. Here traditionally, the individual owns from the studs in -- i.e. studs are common space. Also, the actual public vs. private ownership should be the detailed in the condo docs.

Reply to
blueman