SmartVent attic Venting System

I'm gettnig quotes for a new roof. The house has gutters, very small soffits, and no soffit venting. One of the contractors is quoting something called a SmartVent

It is a flat vent that installs under the shingles. It looks like an interesting system but the house is on Cape Cod. The winters there are somewhat mitigated by the ocean and snow doesn't hang around a long time (despite the foot we got today) but I am still worried about ice dams. The contractor says they install the vent further up on the roof, away from any ice dam area but that concerns me too. I'd think it would just get covered by snow and not work. Anyone have any experience with this type of venting?

Reply to
georgepag

here's 52 pages of reading at:

buffalobill

Thanks for the reference, it is interesting reading, but, it doesn't help at all with the above question. Still looking to see if anyone has information about or experience with the SmartVent.

George

Reply to
georgepag

Well they seem to be no worse than ridge vents, which get completely covered with snow and take several days before they re-appear. You don't need ventilation every single day. I would worry about the ice dams, but if they move them up a few feet it should be OK, although somewhat less effective, perhaps.

Dennis

Reply to
DT