Smaller, less ugly outdoor electric outlet?

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc. Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps greener (to blend in)?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

All the outlet boxes and "in use" covers are large and ugly, but rab came out with this thing for an application like yours:

RBM

All you need is a exterior rated, plastic single gang box, which is minimally sized to hold one device. Can't get any smaller. You can use a flat 'flipper' cover instead of an in-use bubble cover if your locale will allow it for occasional use. My city recently started requiring in-use covers for all outdoor applications, even the one under cover on my front porch, which I definitely didn't want sticking out any more than needed. After passing it, the inspector hinted that if it got 'damaged' and I replaced it with a flat cover, well, how was he supposed to know?

Reply to
DT

Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80 PVC for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization protection. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yup, getting all the necessary protection is a "gimme"!

I know that the outlet needs to be properly weatherized, but I'm not convinced that the only way to do it is to have a big post with a full-size double outlet and a gigantic clear plastic cover (although I fully understand the design requirements that went into that kind of design).

How about something like this ... a small (2" diameter) pipe (green, probably plastic) and near the top, 3 short (6" long) pieces of the same pipe "glued" around the main (support) pipe. Some nice round top to keep the weather out. Each of those 3 short pieces of pipe hinges open, and inside you see (1) an outlet at the top, facing _down_, and (2) some sort of velcro or something so that the cord isn't held in the outlet solely by the friction of the electrical connections.

Voila! Small, un-obtrusive, weatherproof. When nothing's plugged into it, it looks like some strange green plastic mushroom.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

put it behind a small evergreen bush or plant, to screen it

Reply to
hallerb

If there was enough demand for such an item, someone would make it

Reply to
RBM

on 10/14/2007 9:38 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:

Sounds good. Be sure to make plans and diagrams for a patent.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

Yeah, I thought about a patent, but (1) I've never gotten a patent before, (2) I don't know the electrical code, and (3) I don't know how to get a patent.

I'd be happy if somebody else would just make one for me (grin) but it might also be an interesting introduction to the world of patents.

Suggestions on how to get started on something like that?

Thanks, Chris

p.s. Yes, this is getting more off-topic as time goes on ...

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

on 10/14/2007 11:06 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:

Whatever you do, be sure to have a secure cover for the outlet, even if hung upside down under a protective overhang. It's not only rain that can get into the outlet, but insects and their nests. Wasps will like that overhang, too.

Reply to
willshak

How a small 2x4 inch box is so ugly is beyond me. But if it bothers you so much, get some sort of hollow lawn ornament to place over the top of it. In your case, one of those plastic lawn trolls would work great........

Some people (like you) really need to get a life......

BTW, they do sell green colored boxes and covers, or a little green spray paint will do the job too.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Reply to
ke4fxc_at_knology_dot_net

Excellent point!

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

It's really amazing, how people lose all sense of politeness, just because they are sitting in front of a computer, instead of face to face. Please try to remember basic human decency when replying to topics on newsgroups. If a particular topic annoys you, it's best to simply ignore it. And as that sounds like good advice even to me, I will now add you to my list of blocked senders.

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

No its not, I know nothing about you.

Who said "clear plastic cover" is mandatory? There may be something out there, but I'm not the typical suburbanite interested primarily in appearances... Et al our British predecessors as well.

Hopefully, schedule 80 PVC piping. "cord" is usually in reference to temporary cabling for temporary use. IE: extension cord. Scary. The pointed down outlets better be well above the soil line. IE: splash from heavy rain. The boxes better be power ventialated if pointed down. IE: condensation bleeding from the top down.

I hate mushrooms except eating them.

Reply to
Dave

Nope, I'd say the same thing to you in person. Not alot of friends, but at least I'm up front and honest. My friends and enemies always know where I stand. Not everyone plays your game... Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thank You.

I went out of my way to help, and I did find the perfect lawn troll (gnome) for you. I think it would fit you and your lawn perfectly. You could put your outlet right between the cheeks and plug your tool in there anytime it felt appropriate !!!!!

See it here:

Reply to
alvinamorey

Is that AC or DC?