Small hole in glass window - what's available for fix?

sealed units are supringsly cheap. in pittsburgh area i take double pane units to pittsburgh window and door. they disassemble the frame:) measure and build a brand new sealed uit all in one day. with a 2 year warranty

Reply to
bob haller

Because you can't pull a vacuum on a single pane of glass.

You have a hole through the glass and runs. All you will be doing is sucking air. Not to mention that the resin goes into the syringe before you do anything.

Syringe adapter with double-sided tape goes directly over the impact point. Then you add the resin. With nothing but a hole there, the resin has nowhere to go but on the ground.

I guess (and this is a big guess) you could try to put a piece of tape on the opposite side on the impact point and runs to try and draw a vacuum, but then you might make the runs get even bigger when you apply pressure to the tape and glass. I doubt this would work anyway, because as soon as you put the kit/syringe on the pressure cycle it will probably start to push the tape free. Hell, just putting the syringe adapter in place could cause the glass to run out. At least on a laminated piece of glass you have some support from the other piece of glass.

If you have your mind made up that you aren't going to replace this piece of glass, then just fill the hole with some clear silicone. That will take care of the hole. The runs may never ever spread. Only time will tell.

Reply to
Ron

See my other post.

Reply to
Ron

IF, you can find a glass shop that still makes their own units. Most glass shops don't mess with that anymore because it's too time consuming.

Reply to
Ron

Why can't I create a vacuum on one side of the glass (with the right combination of suction cup and syringe) while applying the resin from the other side?

There would be no lamination layer in the middle to act as a barrier.

How thick or viscous is this resin? I take it that it's not like that acrylic plastic resin that just runs all over the place into all the cracks without much effort. ?

And besides, how often do you actually fill a hole in a car windshield, vs just a crack pattern?

In my case, I've got a hole that's about 3/16" diam. in the middle of a crater that's about 1/2" diam, with maybe 2 short cracks about an inch long running from the hole into the glass in 2 different directions.

Can this automotive resin form a patch to fill in the hole and crater?

Reply to
Home Guy

Because the laminate layer acts as one side of the vacuum chamber. I suppose if you taped one side of hole and reinforced it with a flat plate held in place by tape or something, you MIGHT have a chance of making it work.

Reply to
aemeijers

Just get a clear "lens repair kit" - made for plastic lens but generzlly will do the trick - at least for a while, if you can get one. Easier to find in red and amber - but clear is available.(or was a couple of years ago)

Reply to
clare

I don't even know what you are trying to say/ask. On those kits with a syringe, the syringe pulls the vacuum with the resin already in the syringe. After the air is removed, then you switch the syringe from the vacuum mode to the pressure/inject mode. If you can't get ALL of the air out of the crack, you can't inject the resin. If a windshield has stone chip with a run (crack) that extends all the way to the edge of the glass it can't be repaired because you can't create a vacuum.

It's has about the same viscosity as Super Glue. Maybe a little thicker.

A hole completely through a windshield? Never.

It's not made to fill in "craters". It's made to flow into cracks. Repairing a stone chip only requires 2-3 drops of resin.

Have you looked to see if this window has stops on the outside that can be removed? If it's not one of those Andersens where they built the damn frame around the glass, why don't you just replace it?

That Permatex repair kit is $12.00 at my local Auto Zone. I don't know how big your piece of glass is, but I'm guessing that you can buy a piece of glass for less than $20.00. If you buy that kit, I can guarantee that you will be throwing away your money.

Reply to
Ron

Then the resin would just flow in between the "plate" and the glass.

Reply to
Ron

100% correct!
Reply to
Ron

How about just replacing the glass and be done with it?

Reply to
Ron

Yeah, sent out to be tempered.

Reply to
Ron

If you catch it early and make sure it's air tight then you shouldn't have any problems.

At the first glass company that I worked for we had a couple of rundown apt complexes that used to call us for window replacement. The owners of both were tightwads.

Both complexes had insulated/double pane glass. Instead of replacing the units (if only the outer pane was broken) we would remove all of the broken glass, cut a new piece, and use silicone to glue it in place.

Worked like a charm.

Reply to
Ron

Never had a callback. As long as the dessicant is still good it's a quick fix. Now, we NEVER did this on a customers home, nice apt complex, business, etc....ONLY on these 2 complexes that had tightwad owners.

Reply to
Ron

It was one of those things I figured I'd get around to doing properly this year, then ended up too busy :-) It's right in the bottom corner of the window, with the curtain covering it on the inside and a flower bed on the outside, so I do kind of forget it's even there.

I suspect it was caused by a stone from my mower and I just didn't spot it immediately - but right before I first found it there was a male woodpecker bouncing around on the ground right outside the window. It did make me wonder if he got all territorial and pecked his reflection ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

On AHR I don't think you should refer to a horrible hack as worked like a charm. Someone might do that to their tenants, but this is home repair, not alt.fu.some.one.elses.hovel.

Reply to
despen

The big difference is, there is no hole COMPLETELY THROUGH the windshield. Only the first layer of glass is cracked.

Reply to
mkirsch1

on 9/27/2011 6:30 PM (ET) Home Guy wrote the following:

There are too many responses so far for me to read them all, but double pane window glass has argon gas between the panes. Any repairs will result in a cloudy film between the panes, and also the insulation value of the argon filled panes. Find an Andersen window dealer in you area or go to the Andersen window site and see about a replacement. It will be the whole pane with frame. Write down the numbers located in the lower left of the window glass to get the right replacement.

Reply to
willshak

Not all of them.

Reply to
Ron

Then there's no problem. Just replace the broken pane. I though he had the insulated double pane glass, but you know better.

Reply to
willshak