small (but painful!) wasp/yellojacket nest on ground under sticks: KILL;HOW?

GO! I got hit on my right hand once. Kept waiting for the swelling to go down. It didn't, and after a few days, the skin was ready to split. I got a cortisone shot, and half an hour later there was a noticeable difference in reduction.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The wasp bastards got me by taking refuge in a hole leftover from landscape support poles. When I mowed they got me good. One dose of gas in the hole and they were KILLED and the hole filled in.

Came back to bite you, so to say!

oren

Gas??? Does this mean Gasoline? Applied how?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

At dusk, hit the nest with one of the wasp bombs that alllows you to be

10 - 15 feet back. You want to wait till dusk so they're all in the nest.

Then observe for a day. If there are still wasps, repeat the bomb.

Fill with crushed rock.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Except Diazinon is no longer... :(

I've yet to learn a new name that is unregulated that works anyways near as well.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yeah, I can still use my right hand for typing, like now, but that's about it. Twice as thick as the other hand. Called HMO, they said come in, maybe for a shot....

So, I gotta get rid of these beasts!

What I have is this: depression in front yard maybe two feet across 8inches deep, near street; so, to protect people from stepping into and tripping, I put wood from blown-down branches, to make level with surface.

(rocky ground 2 inches under, hard rains, loose dirt just washes away, probably what I did is stupid, but it *was* quick and easy.)

Anyway, after remnants of katrina or something up here in NY state, branches blown down, so I added a couple, AND GOT STUNG -- twice, on cheekbone, and on back side of right hand. Cheek ok, hand twice normal thickness. And I go to doctors-office (they said to) in 10 min.

And, damn it, I don't want to get stung again!

So, how to get rid of nest or whatever?

------

Only one or maybe two of them went after me, and that's all I saw. No "swarm" So probably not a HUGE nest.

So, two questions:

1: main one: how to destroy wasps or whatever they are (it is?) without getting stung again?

2: secondary one: how to fill depression, when below ground is almost solid rock? (result must be wasp-less!)

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

[snip]

If you can see where the wasps are going in and out, you can throw a small handful of insecticide powder in the hole. (I use methoxyclor 50% WP, but 10% Sevin dust ought to work.) You might want to wait until twilight when the wasps are not active. The wasps will get the powder on their feet and track it into the nest and kill the whole hive.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"Duane Bozarth" wrote

It is in Nevada. I have some liquid, as well as granules. I see it all the time at the local HD. Malathion, also.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

In article , snipped-for-privacy@panix.com says... :) So, two questions: :) :) 1: main one: how to destroy wasps or whatever they are (it is?) :) without getting stung again? :) :) 2: secondary one: how to fill depression, when below ground is :) almost solid rock? (result must be wasp-less!) :) :) Thanks, :) :) True yellow jackets...even a small nest with a small number of guard wasps can stir up dozens when disturbed. Sevin dust at the opening, probably at night will work...it can cause them to just create a new entrance. If you feel they are just under the loose sticks, at night set up a flashlight to show the area, with any sort of tool rip open the protective sticks. The wasps will be attacking the flashlight so do not have someone holding it..unless you need to get revenge on a brother in law maybe.. follow up the next day with any general insecticide to treat the exposed nest. Much less risky for you to just hire someone to do the job.

Reply to
Lar

Can you burn outdoors in your area? If you can, wait until evening and dump a quart or so of diesel fuel on the nest and light it! I took care of a trouble some nest a few years ago that way, nothing else worked! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Any one of three ways:

  1. Wetting the critters, or
  2. Letting them breath the fumes, or (my favorite),
  3. While it's on fire!
Reply to
HeyBub

My understanding is it is now on the restricted list for non-ag use although existing stock wasn't pulled immediately. If you can still get it there, best stock up--I haven't seen it here for most of this year, now. I believe it got caught up w/ a trace byproduct during manufacture of some of the nasties. I didn't get a hit on it specifically at EPA, however I've seen references to it on several newsletters and the fact is it isn't available locally any longer and this is a "greenie" area--it's agricultural, in fact.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Diazinon powder is good for the long term too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

if you can watch during the day to see where they are going in and out,then go out at night and pour a couple quarts of gasoline on the hole or area.we get em in holes in the ground and i lay a stick pointing to the hole during the day and dous em at night. lucas

Reply to
ds549

A bunch of good suggestions here! I would like to add that I was able to solve my problem once by going out at night and placing a garden hose in the hole and running it for a number of hours and then filling it with dirt (at night). It made the wasps madder than hell and they buzzed the house for a good month. Another time it didn't work so I called an exterminator. After the 14 stings I got the first time and the half dozen or so the second time I had enough of the little buggers and yes...they stung me in the butt too...right through my jeans!...good luck...

Reply to
Ross Mac

Sevin dust will definitely work.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

pointing

In Hawaii, you can call the local Vector Control and they will come and get rid of ground nesting wasps.

aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

I still have some from a year or two ago. Works well, so I'm going to see if there is still some around. They banned chlorodane some years ago and I bought a quart just about that time. Itr was the most effective pesticide I ever used. Biggest problem is over use by consumers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I got rid of a nest by spraying it well with Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

About a cup of gasoline in the (wasp) hole. Same for a mound of fire ants (piss ants).

Oren

oren