How to kill hornets - special situation

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can stick a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
NoSpam

Hi, I'd use spray made to kill them. It works.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

*Sevin* powder.
Reply to
Bert Byfield

Reply to
NoSpam

Reply to
NoSpam

Drill a 1/8" (or whatever) hole to stick the spray straw through. Or just shoot through the cracks.

Reply to
clare

Or if you are in Texas, a bit of C4

Reply to
clare

Reply to
NoSpam

Got picture/s?

I'm guessing a ground nest, under/behind the concrete. Those jobs can be a real bitch, w/o wooden steps.

Generally speaking, if you can't get to them, you start thinking about sealing them in.

You can try removing the wood, slowly and gently, at night. Hornets, IME, can be somewhat difficult to get to respond if you're not in their face. The entrance to the nest is probably some distance from the steps.

I'm guessing there's a door right there, and they'll make plenty of noise giving you fair warning to get out of the way. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Drill a hole. Drop firecracker in. Do every night. Maybe they will get tired of it. Of course if you start a fire under the stairs that will at least get rid of them.

I had a large PT jungle gym once that wasps/bees decided to build a nest in a small one exit "cave". Went in evening and snuck up on them. Lit and entire pack of firecrackers, tossed in and slammed a presized cover of duct tape over. Went back and pulled tape off. Duct tape sticky was covered with parts. Believe it or not a few survived. They like staggered on what legs they had left to the edge of the hole, hobbled off the edge and fell to the ground. Funny as hell.

In general I never bother them and will usually work around them but it was on a playset. One of the kids was running around doing kid stuff and threatened them in their opinion. Got stung.

Reply to
Red Green

The supply houses for the trades sell wasp and hornet spray that will shoot a stream 20 feet. It works! Blast it through the cracks.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. I believe the nest must be right under a step because I do not believe there are any cracks in the concrete below the steps where they could get in.

I will take pictures >>>

Reply to
NoSpam

Reply to
NoSpam

Wait til after dark, so all the hornets are "home"... If you can get the spray into there , thru a crack(s) just use the can and let 'em have it with about half the can (stay "upwind)..then head inside. If you can't get the spray inside that way, slip the "tube" you mention into the crack. Use a can of Walgreens "Flying Insect" killer (not wasp spray) and shoot it thru the tube.

Do it again the next night..etc til they're gone. I did this for a nest in a roof/soffit. It took 3-4 nights to get em all

Reply to
Rudy

If this is a fully developed hornet's nest it may be as big as a basketball and you will not get the poison inside unless you punch a hole in it. I managed to kill one by poking a hole in the nest at night with a 10' stick of electrical conduit and then pouring malathion down the conduit directly into the nest. (with a funnel). I slid it in and out as I went to get all layers of the nest. The next day there were about

1000 dead hornets under the nest.
Reply to
gfretwell

I use the stuff all the time when those beasties are nesting in the cracks under eaves and such. It knocks them right out. As soon as they buzz out, they hit the ground. You can stand back ten to twenty feet away and hit them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You got the ammonia in, now put the insecticide in the same way. Seems rather simple. Do it at night.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ive killed maybe 20 nests over the years with Ortho Seven, Usualy I pour power at daytime, throwing a plastic drop cloth ofer the area will contain the carnage.You might feel safer at night. Ive also had luck with Sevin liqued, When it dries is when I believe it works, its sold in a bottle you attach to a hose but the powder is more concentrate and effective. Fill a meat baster with sevin and squit in, then leave. Even at the entrance the powder is brought into the nest, it can take a few aplications if you dont get much in.

Reply to
ransley

Good choice. Dusts are usually recommended for insects that aren't accessible because the bugs contact the dust when they enter and leave the nest. One of the "long range" hornet/wasp sprays might also work, depending on how large the nest. Use after dark, when they are less active. I would avoid the area, including mowing grass nearby, until they are gone.

Reply to
norminn

Pipe your car or lawn tractor exhaust under the steps and let it run a while.

Reply to
Hipupchuck