sluggish remote control

[snip]

If possible, I tried to avoid that extra RF link, although not many TVs had a baseband input.

There used to be a lot that didn't have boxes, but connected directly to the TV tuner. The first cable system I knew of just had 12 channels, which were the same as the channels broadcast TV used (2-13). "Cable ready" TVs could get midband (14-22, frequencies located between 6 and

7) and newer ones also got superband (23-36). Until 2016, the cable here used those channels but you would need a box for digital (including premium channels). Then they changed to all-encrypted, so you couldn't get anything without a box.

The first cable box I saw had a knob (35-position rotary switch). You had to take it in to the cable office when subscribing or unsubscribing channels.

BTW, "midband" left a gap for FM radio, which used to be common on cable. That corresponded to a few more TV channels, which were given the numbers 95-99. That is, the TV channels in order of frequency are 2-6,

95-99, 14-22, 7-13, 23-94, 100-135.

i never had that kind of cable box, although it looks a lot like a radio dial. I wish I had thought of that kind of remote.

I didn't need to hear that twice.

There's another remote I remember from the seventies that had only 3 buttons:

  1. channel up (there was no channel down). OK it you don't have too many channels.
  2. on and volume up
  3. volume down and off. There was no way to have the TV remember the volume setting when off
[snip]

Looks like you made the mistake of assuming I was disagreeing with you.

Frequency is one of the measurements of waves, which may of may not be sound. You might notice we have frequency in AC power lines.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

[Begin unsnip]

- - Since it was frequency base, other items could control the TV. Our vacuum

- - cleaner changed the channels. Rattling Dad's keys would turn the TV On

- - and Off.

- Nothing electric in the remote. It just used sound.

[End unsnip]

What was the point of saying that there was nothing electric in the remote?

Again, what is your point here?

You might notice that we have waves in sound.

Are your "points" just throwaway comments or are you responding to my post?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I myself was rude when I didn't reply to Marilyn's reply to me, after I had complained, but this is what I was talking about when I said "nitpicking" When I read 'Who said "electric? I said "2 metal bars inside and the spring loaded "hammer" buttons"...'

When I read that I knew it was written by Marilyn because he is a nitpicker, which I used as a softer word than "argumentative, contentious, starts fights." This is only usenet so it doesn't bother me much, but I wanted him to know in case he's like that in real life too.

Reply to
micky

And you still won't let it go. He said one line, 9 words, and you want to know what his point was. Is he Socrates that the has to make a great point with every word he says?

AND YOU STILL WON'T LET IT GO. You are definitely contentious, quarrelsome, argumentative, and when it applies, nitpicking. It's not the worst thing in the world but it could cause problems in real life. Especially at work or home with people who spend more time with you thann we do.

And you still won't let it go. Are you trying to beat him into submission, so he won't post like that again?

This is iirc the same style from you that got my dander up.

Reply to
micky

Yes indeed. Thanks Charlie+ I put it in my Amazon shopping cart for next time I order things, although it's about $9 or 10 there and $5 or 6 other places with shipping. I've found other places to be reliable, although harder to r eturn, but I almost never return anything and I don't know why I'd return this, so I'm asking myself, Why do I even consider buying from Amazon.

I had a long term plan to compare the 3-digit device codes that come in various instruction to see if at least they are the same. But I'll never get around to do doing the compare.

Reply to
micky

Zenith also made a remote with 4 bars, one to go a channel up and one to go a channel down. For more expensive models, but you could see in the

2-bar model there was space for 2 more bars. I suppose the 4th button did volume down.

In 1983 the cable company here had a control with a rotating knob. Either it had 38 channels or I'm thinking of a modified roulette wheel.

The cable was more than long enough to get from the closet to the bed.

When I cancelled the cable, I asked if I could keep the box in case I started up again, and they either didn't answer or they said yes. Of course it was of no use for new customers by then, and probably of no use at all soon after.

Reply to
micky

Yet somehow I've succeeded in all facets of my life, including my career, my family and my hobbies (in which I'm considered quite the expert).

I'm also fun to just hang around with. It's a shame that you haven't had the pleasure of my company.

It's nice that you aren't charging me any rent to live inside your head. Thank you for that. Housing costs are quite high these days.

Is your dander up so high that you feel a need to waste time complaining about my posts when they don't even involve you?

You talk about "problems" in my life. You make me wonder what my impact on you says about yours.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson