Sluggish garage-door opener

I have a Sears chain-driven garage-door opener that's about ten years old. It's in excellent mechanical condition but lately it's very slow to begin the opening or closing cycle. I find myself having to push the remote button for 8-10 seconds at times before anything happens.

The batteries are newly replaced, I've tried repositioning the pickup antenna, but so far nothing seems to help.

What am I missing here???

Reply to
Norm Dion

IMHO,

I would do what you are doing, rule out reception. I would try and stand inside the garage and test the remote. Ifa difference is noticed, then it might be reception. Also, I would take a look at everything, rollers, chain, supports. Ask myself, "does anything look wrong?"

Post a followup.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

If you push the hard-wired button on the wall, does it open immediately?

If so, then the problem is related to the receiver/transmitter. Perhaps your transmitter button is worn out. Try cleaning the switch or use a spare transmitter.

Reply to
peter

I'll second that approach. We have Craftsman units which are about 20 years old now and still going strong, and the transmitters (and the receiver too I suppose) use slug tuned coils which set the RF operating frequency.

I recall having to tweak the slug in one of the transmitters to get it to operate as far from the garage as our other units.

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the case so I could reach the slug with a tuning tool left over from the old vacuum toob TV set days and adjusted the slug by trial and error tweaking as I moved away from the garage.

Worked for me...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia