skylight too hot

I have a recently installed 2 x 4 foot skylight installed in the east facing slope of the roof over a bedroom. I was painting in the skylight well yesterday a was surprised at how hot it was, and how hot the underside of the skylight glass was. Yes, this is Florida but the skylight was supposed to be dual-pane, low E, etc.

It appears it is dual-pane, tempered glass but I don't see any markings indicating a low-E rating.

In any case, what can I do now to let light in but limit the huge heat transfer. The skylight is very easy to get to on the outside.

Marty

Reply to
Marty Joyce

how about mirrored window film

I had to solve this problem a while back.

I found that the best thing is to put a shade on the outside, above the skyling a few inches so that you have a live airspace between the glass and the shade device. This gives the same sort of shade you experience under a tree.

I built a frame and put shade cloth (as used on greenhouses) on it. The shadecloth will evenutally wear out and needs to be replaced but it works very well, is inexpensive, and gives a pleasant quality of light.

Good luck.

Peter

Reply to
peter