Siding Questions.

Hello:

Having a new clapboard siding installation.

a. A few questions, please:

What is used mostly these days; Galv or Stainless nails ? Have had problems in the past with Galv. nails rusting.

Would S.S. nails add "substantially" to the cost ? What % more expensive that the typ Galv nails (I think they are called ridg type nails ?) are stainless ones ?

b. would like to get the terminology right. What is the horiz board called that is sometimes used at the very bottom of the siding runs (near the foundation) to give it a "finished" look ?

If used, should there be Z flashing used in this spot ?

c. Are they still pedling siding that is made from 2 or 3 pieces and glued with a finger joint. If so, is it still bad news ?

d. For wood, is Cedar siding still considered the best ? Or,... ? Why ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Galvanized siding nails are about $11 for 5 pounds, Stainless steel nails are $35 for 5 pounds at my local Home Depot right now, but that is a yellow tag price which means a closeout and probably a discount.

I used about 20 pounds of roofing nails on the vinyl siding for a 1500 sq ft house, not sure how that compares to regular siding. I nail about 16" apart horizontally and the nailing flanges were 8" on center vertically, plus the trim.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT