Shower tile help

The tiles in my shower are coming loose. It is on an outside wall What do I need to do to repair/replace them. Do I use greenboard, concreteboard or something else as a backer. It looks like the builder used drywall. What do I use to reattach the tiles, mastic, thinset....?

Any help or websites is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
dw

Head for your library. Take home a bunch of books on tile and read them. More modern books will have best info on current techniques, so check copyright dates to screen out the ones published in the early

20th century. Then cruise the book racks at the box stores for additional tomes you might want to buy and keep. While there, now that you're somewhat informed, look over the products themselves and if the clerk isn't too hassled and seems knowledgeable, ask some more questions about tiling mistique. A Google search will always turn up items of interest but you may already have done that. Dedicated tile stores where the pros shop should be on your list of visits, too. Keep in mind that from what you have described your project is a lot more serious than just pasting a few tiles back on the wall. All of us have had to deal with Pandora's Box situations resulting from substandard materials and workmanship. It's hard to be be brave in that circumsatnce, especially when SWMBO is carrying on about why it costs so much and takes so long, so approach it with some knowledge and a realistic outlook and you'll do OK..Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Cement board/thinset