Shower safety grab bar

It is better to have nothing and find a safer method of entering/exiting than to believe a suction cupped device will completely support your weight if the chance of a complete fall partakes. One day, it may not provide the support even for a minor issue of balance whereas a properly secured device will not fail.

Bottom line, you're the one who uses it, it's your choice, but if you have overnight guest, I hope nothing happens to them or you could be facing a lawsuit.

Reply to
Meanie

Are you saying that without the grab bar you would have fallen?

As I've before (and later), when it gets to a point that I feel I need a grab bar to prevent myself (or a loved one) from falling, I'll install one that is securely attached to the wall.

See comment above.

Thank you. (You do realize that my "never use" applies to a suction cup grab bars, not grab bars or support aids in general, don't you?

Thank you for including the wall. You see, it really wasn't really "nothing" after all. ;-)

However, your comment about my age and the advantages of an aid is a bit confusing. Did you not read what I said in the next paragraph?

When there's a need for a grab bar I'll install one/have one installed. I never said I was against "aids". I said I was against aids that I do not feel are safe.

When did you install the grab bar? When you realized that you needed some support, correct? Why do you not think that I will do the same thing? The only difference is, mine won't have suction cups.

Yup...there it is! I knew I put it there. ;-)

The mere fact that you could pull it off if you wanted to tells me that if you were to have to use it to support your entire weight during a fall, it may not have helped. By the time you knew what was happening, you be swinging the grab bar around in mid air as you hit the ground. No time to let go and reach for a wall, a window frame, anything. I don't want a bar that I can pull off "unless I wanted to", I want a bar that I can't pull off.

As I said, I'm not against grab bars. All I have said all along is that when I feel I need one, I'll install one that I feel is going to be safe in the worst of situations.

I am not without sympathy for any health issues you may be experiencing, but this isn't about anyone's health. It's about suction cups vs. lag screws.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bar design is good. All depends on the adhesive and how well it is applied. Good adhesive can be very strong and support a lot of weight, improperly installed, no so much.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You guys are all overthinking stuff. I'll bet the backer is OK on the studs and the plastic is only 3/8 of an inch away because the glue used to mount it let go. Just pull the plastic back against the backer board/drywall/whatever by screwing the shower bar to the studs and tightening the screws. That's what I did on mine. The acrylic liner is loose on the backer board in several places - the shower bar "fixed" where the glue let go when I installed it.

Reply to
clare

It's WAY beyond the knowlege of over half the respondents.

Reply to
clare

But your plastic liner wasn't loose.

Reply to
clare

Possible. It is something to hold onto to maintain balance. A good aid. Would I have fallen? Can''t answer that but I could step out with confidence.

Good for you. That is not an option for everyone.

Sure, but as I said. not everyone has that choice and the suction cup is much safer than nothing.

Wall helps, but it is not as good as something you can grip so I bought and used the suction cup. Much better.

Not everyone can do that. The OP, for instance is having a difficult time, others would have an even harder time.

I installed a better bar after getting rid of the fiberglass shower and doing a complete remodel. To go from a suction cup to a screwed in bar took about three weeks and $15,000. Not everyone has that option. I went from a 34" fiberglass shower to a 48" ceramic tile and glass door.

As i said, something is better than nothing. You seem to prefer nothing until you can do it your way. Not everyone has that option.

Oh, I already said that.

Showing your ignorance. There is a release to pull it off. You are very critical of something you've never used or tried. They work very well.

No. it is about a darned good support versus an excellent support when you have little or no option. What you can do is not what everyone else can do. If it was unsafe it would not have been in my bathroom.

typical specification: Suction Cup Grab Bar provides excellent temporary balance assistance on any non-porous surface. Suction Cup Grab Bar has quick and easy installation. Grab Bar has color indicator to signify bar is secure. Suction Cup Grab Bar should not be used to support body weight. Provides temporary balance Quick and easy installation Durable suction pads Color indicator changes to signify bar is secure

16 in. size offers ample grip area Note: do not use to support full body weight
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

...and that's where I'm not sure I agree with you, so let's just agree to disagree on that point.

The OP is not having a "difficult time". He is simply asking questions and voicing a concern. In fact if Clare is right, he's a few screws away from completing the job.

Are you kidding me? Are you implying that people need to spend $15K to go from a suction cup bar to a screw in bar? Of course "not everyone has that option" but that's not the only option. In fact, it has nothing to do with the conversation.

Good grief. I'll say it one more time and then I promise to give up because you are obviously not listening. I'll even put this on it's own line so there's no chance that you won't see it.

When I *need* a bar, I'll put in the type I want.

Here, just in case you missed that:

When I *need* a bar, I'll put in the type I want.

How's does that equate to "prefer nothing or my way"?

I prefer nothing *now* because I don't need a bar. I never once said that I would forgo a bar when the time comes that I need one. I also prefer not to install a wheelchair ramp to my front door because I don't need one. I also prefer not to rip out my bathtub and put in a walk-in shower. Guess why?

Yup, *I don't need one*.

Yeah, you keep saying that, all the while ignoring the main point of my objection to suction cups. So be it.

No, it's not - not to me. That's what you keep missing.

See Ya!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Of course not but you would rather jump to a wrong conclusion. The suction cup bar was very satisfactory and easy to install. Very happy with it.

Then you asked a question and I gave the answer. I remodeled both bathrooms because I wanted to update them. Had nothing to do with grab bars other than it makes sense to have them. You took a straightforward answer and tried to read too much into it.

Good. I did the same.

You implied a suction cup bar was a danger compared to nothing, same as a deck rail that will not support you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

| > Sure, but as I said. not everyone has that choice and the suction cup is | > much safer than nothing. | > | ...and that's where I'm not sure I agree with you, so let's just agree to | disagree on that point. |

I'd agree with your agreeable disagreement. :) I've installed bars a number of times. (My customer base is aging along with me.) They come with 3 long, thick stainless steel screws for each end that need to be into solid wood. I wouldn't agree to buy or install suction cup hardware for a customer. I guess the options would depend on the situation.

Reply to
Mayayana

...and that's where I'm not sure I agree with you, so let's just agree to disagree on that point.

The OP is not having a "difficult time". He is simply asking questions and voicing a concern. In fact if Clare is right, he's a few screws away from completing the job.

Are you kidding me? Are you implying that people need to spend $15K to go from a suction cup bar to a screw in bar? Of course "not everyone has that option" but that's not the only option. In fact, it has nothing to do with the conversation.

I don't know what is big deal I have install two SS grab bars in two of my showers Cost perhaps less then $100 bucks. Yes tiles are hard as glass, but use of proper tools there are no problems.

[...]

Tony944

And the OP's situation is VERY CLEARLY not one where a suction cup device would be anything close to safe or effective. The thin plastic shell of the surriund is nit decurely fastened to the backing or the studs of the wall. The suction cups may stick perfectly to the plastic, but a slip would cause the suction cups to tear the tub liner right off the wall making a dangerous situation even worse.

Reply to
clare

Having taken out two of those surrounds, I'd not be at all concerned about that.

The suction cup is meant to be a device to steady you while stepping in or out of the shower or tub. They can take a lot of force, but are not designed to fully support a 300# person. Used properly, they are a good safety device.

I used one for a long time. I find it fascinating that people that never saw or used one can tell me how bad they are. They can prevent a serious fall. Get back to me when you have first hand experience. I have a lot of it with no problems.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I;ve seen them. I know people who have used them On a solid tub surround they are pretty safe. I have also removed a lot of poorly installed cheap tub surrounds that I would NEVER install a suction cup handle tro. We don't know how strong the plastic liner is - all we know is it is not securely fastened.

Reply to
clare

Suction cups are a joke when it comes to something made for safety. They might work ok for a small gadget in the car, or a lightweight soap dish in the bathroom. NOT for a safety device that may be holding 200lbs of human body.

You're better off with NO grab bar, than one that is going to fail at the wrong moment!

Reply to
Paintedcow

The suction cup itself is not the problem - it is the mounting.

Suction cups are used on a daily basis to carry and install glass -= both automotive and architectural.. Very heavy glass. It is what the suction cups are fastened to that worries me..

Reply to
clare

Have you used one? What is your experience? Do you know what it is intended to do?

They perform a particular function very well

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So true! Looking around I'd say that the majority of Walmart shoppers tip the scale at over 300 lbs.

Reply to
Ted

A good majority of Walmart shoppers are more than likely minimum wage or below earners, and they need to buy stuff where ever they can afford to shop.

The less money a person makes the less they can afford nutritional foods, so they have to opt for high calorie/fat/carb foods because those foods are cheap. The more money people earn the more likely it is that they will buy and consume food that is better for them, less fattening, and more nutritious.

Reply to
Muggles

I read some reviews and some could not get it to stick. I'd be a little leery myself as while adhesive tensile strength can be high shear strength is usually lower and since boundary levels may be very thin a small crack might become a big one.

I looked at my wife's suction support and it was very tight. I'd almost be afraid I'd pull a tile off the wall before it failed. Obviously the strongest bar would be screwed into the studs but I think I will buy a suction one for use in may ceramic stall shower as I would never put full body weight on it but might brace to soap a foot or something where a little support is necessary.

Reply to
Frank