Shower Remodel Question

Hello,

I'm completely remodeling our master bath, and I have a quick question. In the shower, I'm putting up all new Durock concrete board and using self-adhesive fiberglass tape on the flat joints. My question is, how do I tape the inside corners? Can I use regular joint tape, or do I need to continue with the fiberglass tape? The paper tape is scored down the center and would be much easier to work with. Will it matter much since tile will be going up anyway?

Thanks! Xig

Reply to
Xiggy

Yes, it will matter. Continue with the fiberglass mesh joint tape.

RicodJour

Use the fiberglass tape and _don't_ use 'drywall compound' to go over the tape, use polymer modified thinset, which will make the entire wall waterproof. Often people will wrongly use 'drywall compound' to tape joints in showers, then when water penetrates and gets the wallboard moist, the compound disintegrates and releases the tiles.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

I don't tape the corners. When you tile the walls, you should not grout the corner joint, but should use flexible sealant (like silicone caulk) in the corner. Doing it that way allows for the slight movement between the walls.

The tape on the flat joints is to help prevent tiles from cracking over the seam; this can't happen in the corner if you use flexible sealant. BTW, you should bed the tape over the flat joints in thinset.

And it's probably too late, but you should (have) put a waterproof lining (such as building felt) behind the backer board, starting at the bottom and with the upper pieces lapped over the lower.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin