Shower Door Repair

I would like to reverse the hinge on a pivoting shower door. [The glass is textured on one side and I'd like to keep that on the outside. This requires that I move the hinge and not just flip the door.] The door is an unframed panel of tempered glass with one side inserted into a metal channel with the pivots. The glass is held tight with thin rubber strips. In past experience the glass worked out of the rubber strips easily. This one, although the rubber is fresh and pliable, is stuck tight. I ran a razor plade under the rubber as far as I could. Gentle tapping with a rubber mallet did not work. Any suggestions to avoid breaking the glass? Thanks.

Reply to
John Keiser

Glass shop?

Reply to
clare

I've never taken a shower door apart, but I am familiar with the type. Even though the rubber is fresh, it may be sticking to the glass surface. I wonder if a bit of heat would make a difference? Maybe run a hair dryer along the channel.

I also have to wonder if the original installer use some silicone sealant in the channel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can't see any silicone. Will try a little heat. Thanks.

Reply to
John Keiser

On closer inspection: The tempered glass fits into a "u" shaped vinyl glazing strip that has rib on each side. The glass and glazing then fit into the "u" shaped metal channel which forms the piano hinge. I can see that the interior of the "u" shaped metal channel also has ribs. The metal ribs must lock the vinyl ribs. This seems like a clever way to get a very tight fit. Maybe intended to be irreversible? Razor blade is defeated so far. Ideas?

Reply to
John Keiser