Shower bed/pan cost?

Hi,

I've got a 42" x 45" shower. I've cleaned it back to studs and the plywood subfloor. I was planning to do it myself (already bought the cement and sand and membrane) but my wife has cold feet about letting me do it. (I don't know why, exactly....I'm doing all the plumbing and tiling)

She got a contractor in for an estimate and wants to use him. When he left here he was saying $300-$400, and now he's called back with $400.

Can anyone guesstimate what a realistic cost for doing this job should be in Southern California? Although I've not done one before, it seems a straightforward task and doesn't scare me in the least.

$400 seems outrageous to me, but if that's what it costs, I can swallow it. I just want to make sure that if it should be more like $200 or $250, that I know that beforehand.

TIA,

Reply to
Joe S

I hope you've begged him to come do the job by now.

At the very least, that. Call around and get educated. You will be surprised (or maybe not) that you're no longer living in the 70's.

Reply to
G Henslee

You may recall that, with help from yourself I had prepared myself to do this job. But for some reason, my wife decided that she wanted to pay someone to do it. So, from my perspective, even $100 is too much because I WANTED TO DO IT! LOL.

It especially bugged me that he was looking right there at this small job (no variables at all) and said $300-$400 and then came back with the top end bid. It feels to me like he sized us up and decided that we'd be good for an extra $100.

(Now, just to be clear, this $400 is just for setting the pre-slope, installing the membrane that I already bought, and floating the top and the curb.)

As far as "living in the 70s", in almost 30 years of home ownership, I've never hired a pro to do stuff around the house, so I wouldn't know what going rates are, then or now....I just presume them to be 'higher than I care to pay'. (-;

Reply to
Joe S

Since she's paying, charge her half what the other guy wants and still do it yourself. ;o)

Now that I don't know, but even at 4 bills the price is still reasonable. Tell him you expect to be able to set the tile without any problems. The curb has to be level and sloped properly and it has to be square and exact in dimension on both ends and in height, etc. The floor needs to be sloped properly without bumps, humps, lumps, or swales in it. In other words you should be able to just install the tile - no grinding or adjusting of the mortar should be necessary.

I'm sure you'red a very handy person. Good luck with your job.

Reply to
G Henslee

Joe, one more extremely important thing if you hire this fella to do the pan. Refer to the web sites I gave you regarding the membrane for proper installation. No nails or staples too low on the walls or on the inside or top of the curb, etc. Then fill it with water after installation and before mudding to ensure there's no leaks.

Reply to
G Henslee

I guess the good part is that I do have the sense that he'll do a good job. He's a young guy (late 20's I think), seems to know the drill and came recommended from a friend who had him do a decent-sized tiling job.

Thanks again for the advice!

Joe

Reply to
Joe S

Yep. Got it. Thanks. He will be starting on Monday. And I didn't have to beg. Today I'm putting up AquaBar and the Hardi, of course leaving the bottom couple of feet open for him to do his thing.

Reply to
Joe S