sheetrock needed?

I am in the early stages of planning to convert the top floor of a detached barn into guest quarters or even just a large playroom. It is typical balloon framing, about 130 years old and in excellent shape.

My question: In the top floor, I will insulate (some sort of blown-in---the stud bays aren't exactly regular). Must I put sheetrock up? Can I just cover with tongue and groove boards? Does code require sheetrock?

thanks. B.

Reply to
<BKS>

On 1/2/2005 12:00 PM US(ET), BKS took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Only your local building inspector will know for sure.

Reply to
willshak

It depends on the planet, continent, country, state, county, and often city.

Reply to
davefr

Sheetrock is best and will keep dust down. Blown in will cause a -lot- of dust while being blown and some will probably continue to filter out without the -rock. Sheetrock is a cheap and quick covering and if you are going to cover it with boards doesn't have to be taped. As some one else said "check with your local building inspector"

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Sheet rock also acts as a firewall. Check with your local codes.

Reply to
Ron