Sheetrock , Jack !

This morning I designed and started building a jack mechanism to install sheetrock on the ceiling of my house . This afternoon I finished it and used it to put up 2 sheets . It's nothing fancy , a couple of 2x4's with |___| brackets to let them "telescope" . Scrap plywood and some 2x4 pieces for a base and bracing , equipped with swivel casters . Hand crank winch and cable and a small pulley and more scrap plywood for a top platform completes it . The winch is mounted on the moving 2x4 , the cable goes down and around the end - the pulley is mounted in a notch in the bottom end - and back up between the 2x4's to get tied off over the top of the non-moving 2x . There's a groove in one 2x for the cable . The platform is about 73" above the floor when lowered , so I still have to get it up a ways . But once sorta-centered on the top platform , I can roll the thing anywhere in the room , crank the winch to raise it up to the framing , and once positioned another turn locks it in place while I get screws started . I've always in the past just used deadman tees , this is SO much easier !! I'd never considered the possibility , just never did that much overhead and mostly small pieces , but a guy I know mentioned he had one , and the gears in my head ... and had he never mentioned it , I'd be fighting this stuff and wishing I had 3 arms .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

When I re-did the kitchen I used 5/8" drywall.

The ceiling is 9' high, so it was a tough job.

I made a scaffold out of 2x4's that was about 8 1/2 ft high.

Me and my helper could position the sheets, take a rest...then go for it.

Reply to
philo

A link to a picture would be worth several thousand words.

Reply to
hrhofmann

These were tsaken before I put the top platform on , it's built just like the bottom .

Terry Coombs

I just added 3 more pics showing construction details .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What is that thing that looks like a gun in the middle of the lift??

Reply to
hrhofmann

That would be my .50 cal Plains Rifle muzzleloader hanging on nails driven into the studs . CVA , built from a kit and it'll put 3 into an inch at 50 yards . But not with me shooting it these days ... sigh . An unloaded gun is just a fancy club ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

But why is it mounted on the sheetrock jack?

Reply to
micky

See above ...

Reply to