Set fence post in concrete, dirt, or gravel?

Ook wrote:

Lots of great ideas here, but here's a couple more. In the countryside around here we have the occasional redwood fence posts with barbed wire. Redwood lasts a very long time, but the reason they still stand is due not to concrete but shale that's driven alongside the footer. When I reconstructed a fence along part of our property, I pulled out a couple misplaced treated 4x4 posts, and the part that was in the ground was as good as new. 40%copper pressure treated posts last a long time, and look better than steel or vinyl posts, in my opinion. I agree that concrete is so permanent to be a nuisance around the property. But, it does hold posts well and the post won't rot if the very bottom isn't sitting in a bucket of water soaked concrete. I didn't want to spend too much money on concrete, so I combined the pounding of shale and other flat rocks at the foot to make the post tight, and then at the top of the whole, I filled in a bit of concrete and mounded it a little so that dripping rain drains away from the post. Posts can support each other, so I used galvanized metal brackets to hold the cross supports between each pair of posts (set 8 feet apart), 2x4s set on edge, rather than flat, so that I wouldn't have the saggy look so common on fences in my area. These cross supports were 10%copper pressure treated posts, cheap and available at Home Depot, so I used 3 cross supports, rather than two. The top plate connecting across posts were 20ft long 2x6 redwood, and the visible lumber used was carefully sorted for heartwood 7/8"x5 redwood planks found also at Home Depot. I cut off the dog ears and put the edges under the overhang of the top plate. I drilled and used screws, not nails, which takes a little longer to put up, but results in fewer split boards and an overall stronger fence. Along the bottom at dirt level, I linked posts with

1x12 redwood as a kickplate, filling whatever holes with spare rocks to keep the dogs in the yard. Later, I decided that the southern exposure of the fence would look good with grape vines, but I wanted to make sure the fence would suffer from the extra weight, so I drove 2x2 grape stakes every 4 feet, and anchored with screws to the existing fence at the post, and half-way between, and then put half-way up and just under the top plate, horizontal 2x2s to tie across and create an easy access trellis to tie on the vines, which are spaced every 4'. Ultimately, because the vines are away from the wood, and well pruned of foilage and excess wood in winter, they will actually provide additional wind resistence for the fence by their root strength. In summer, the foliage shades the wood, reducing exposure to the harmful effects of UV rays that will over many years will split up even good redwood planking. Anyway, this is the story of a 100' section of fencing on my property. Incidentally, I like the grey color of weathered redwood, so I wouldn't bother to stain or paint the fence. I don't want the extra maintenance.
Reply to
Alan

here in london u.k. we have things called met posts. metal spikes that you bolt the post into. they seem to work fine for me. see illustration

Torgeaa

It is?

Reply to
jeffc

They sell some square metal things that set into concrete and are made to fit a common 4x4 post. That way the posts can be replaced without digging. If you dont use something like this, I'd just fill the hole with the dirt. Thats all I did on my pole barn, which takes a lot more abuse than a fence.

Reply to
maradcliff

Sure is. I've lived in my house for 20 years- and I've been on Usenet for 11. I hope I live to be 100 so I can see whether the road out front goes 4-lane, or Usenet dies first. Both have been 'imminent' since I've known them.

Jim [I had to search googlegroups for "death of usenet" -- It was being predicted in 1985-

Joked about as "the imminent death of Usenet" by 1989-
became the acronym IDOUP by the end of the year

Jim Elbrecht

Why not just make the fence-post out of concrete, at that point? (or buy pre-made concrete fence posts.)

Reply to
Goedjn

so why did google get on the wagon?

why does any decent isp even have a news server

my guess is that usage is up! up because more are learning about it

usenet started when most people didn't even own a computer, how can it be fading?

you should post some statistics...

if you're referring to the old days and you don't see the familiar names you used to... that's one thing.. that's not fading, those people just died! lmao ' post some stats!

Reply to
sosessyithurts

Ook,

FWIW, on an old episode of This Old House they buried composite post "anchors" in the ground, which in turn had a PVC sleeve inserted into them along with a 1" diameter piece of rebar that was long enough to stick up above ground level. Each wooden fence post had a hole bored into its end and was placed over the top of the protruding rebar. This way the posts were never in contact with the ground.

When I tried to find out further information about these composite post "anchors", all that I could turn up was that Walpole Woodworkers had something to do with them. Not much info on their website and I never did get around to actually visiting one of their locations to see if these items were available.

It seems like a viable system to me. If so, it may help put an end to the constant debate of whether or not to use cement when installing fence posts.

Anyone else, have any info on these? Please post it here for all to share. TIA. HTH.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

It is. I think the younger generation is not as usenet savvy as some of use...older...folks.

How old are people here? I'm 46 and been online for about 22 years since I bought a 300 baud modem and discovered BBS's.

Reply to
Ook

damn your old

im only 8 years old, what is a bbs?

are you going to build you fence today? You are going to get tired quick.

Reply to
sosessyithurts

Anyone who's been around this newsgroup for a while would remember when a thread like this one (the original thread - about fence posts) would have gotten a very authoritative response from Bikerbabe in Black Leather, which would then have brought on a response from some clueless n00bie entertaining the rest of us with something like "Hey Bikerbabe. I can tell you're my type. Maybe we could get together for a couple drinks, followed by Bikerbabe saying "I really don't think I'm your type." and then a few more posts debating the point. Yes ... those were the days.

Reply to
Nick Danger

Hi, I only use cedar or treated wood post. Gravel at bottom, pack with dirt and make a dome around post at the top. Lasts LONG time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

what percentage of the post is in the soil? 25%, 30% ??

Reply to
JWHB