Septic vent odor question

What's the best way of dealing with odor from the vent pipe of a septic system? I've been told to flush down some additives to get bio activity up, and I've also heard of carbon filters to put on the vent pipe.

Anybody know how to handle this?

Gracias

Reply to
Xeno

Rid-X from the hardware store always works for me.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

If it is a mechanical plant, have your air pump repaired.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Me too.

dont know if this works for odors, but was told by someone who has a ceptic tank system that his father in law told him to take a pound of ground beef and let it sit out in the sun for a day and then flush it down the toilet... i guess this is to get the bio to start degrading??? dont know, but it might work..

Reply to
jim

Raise the height of the vent.

Reply to
Ms. Manners

Very strange then that our septic tank out at the farm that was installed over

50 years ago, has had the additives poured down the toilet every time it started smelling and is still working just fine. The lid has never been off the tank and the lines have never been dug and replaced. We'll stay with the additives.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Odds are pretty good that you have two things - a large drywell as a disposal field, and very sandy or gravelly soils. Of course, it all depends on use and abuse too. You may treat your system much differently (better) than someone who is used to being connected to public sewer systems.

Hope it stays working well for you.

Jon Endres, PE

There is no dry well, but the soil is deep in the area (about 15 feet to hard pan) and contains lots of sand. The part that is very important that you mention is what is poured down the drains (abuse). That's another reason the drain field has never clogged.

That's the reason the system still works after all these years, we all watch what goes down the drains, including what the house keeper is using, and as I said in another post, use Rid-X if the vent starts smelling. When the ladies use to use yeast in their cooking we used that also, but they quit using yeast years ago - turned into city girls!! :-(

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J