Selling Used Air-Conditioners and Gas Furnaces

Is there a market for used, full house air-conditioners and full house gas furnaces? Where would we sell them? We are talking about the kind of air-conditioners and gas furnaces that are used to heat a standard, two-story, $200,000, suburban home.

Reply to
New Question

Junkyard, scrap metal.

Think about it: You're going to install this piece of equipment and you have no idea of how it's been used or abused, if it has chronic problems, if it has been pig-rigged "fixed" somewhere along the line?

Oh yeah: In all likelyhood, one or more of your family members will be sleeping right over top of it at night.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Sure your local scrap yard maybe a penny a pound

Reply to
m Ransley

I see adds in the paper for "clean one owner" units all of the time for $75-100 a ton. Most of these are package units, roof mount. Gas furnaces should be destroyed as the fire box when cracked could pump CO into the home. Better check your local regs before you go to far. One of the local crane companies around here take package units for $30-$50 a piece. They take them to a retired guy that salvages the freon and scraps the metal.

Reply to
SQLit

Not by anyone with a clue.

Scrapyard. I send at least a hundred a year there...

What kind might that be praytell? Since there IS NO STANDARD and the last $200,000 home I did, got 3 units...go figure. Now, we did do a 2.5M home, and it got one....and it was a unit that cost over $29,000.....so...thats a standard unit, and the home was single story, and it was nothing REAL fancy....so..tell me...is it old shit that was a problem to start with, that if its under 80%AFUE, or 10SEER, would be illegal to sell, and its been sitting out for months with the entire unit exposed to the weather, with the valves open, and the compressors sucking up moisure from the air to the oil in them..or are they stolen?

either way, its illegal to sell a fossil fuel appliance for re-use in most areas, and you cant afford the liability insurance. No one in his right mind will buy someone elses old crap, and take a crapshoot on whether it works or not.

I have installed new for what some hacks like you want for the old crap.

Reply to
CBHVAC

I wonder if Habitat for Humanity would be interested in used hvac residential equipment ? Or, some other volunteer enterprise like them ?

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

No. They are not. IF you were in the trade, you would know that HfH gets the units new, and at a substantial discount. Then, legitimate contractors like myself will install them from time to time for free. SOMETIMES, we supply the equipment at no cost. IF you were in the trade, you would know that the International Gas Code prohibits the re-use of a fossil fuel buring appliance in a residential setting. WHY in hell would HfH want to build a BRAND NEW house, with a used piece of crap on it?

Lemmie guess Davey...you dont have liability insurance either.........

Reply to
CBHVAC

Used furnace 800,000 how much you going to give me for it

Reply to
sanders.la77

20 bucks if you deliver it.

Pretty dumb post. If you are serious you have to give some information.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You sure it's not 80,000 BTU? 800,000 would be gross overkill for most homes - and many commercial/institutional building as well.

Generally any furnace over 10years old is worth about 3 cents a pound on a good day.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I suspect you mean 80,000 btu unless it's something other than a domestic central heaing furnace. If it's over 10 years old it's worth about 3 cents a lb delivered. If it's closer to 5 yeard old it's worth about $20 or $25 delivered.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have several units available if anyone is still looking.

Reply to
zacharytaylor143

If they have been looking for 16 years they aren't going to buy one.

Reply to
Leo Isenteze

Not to mention that anything used is even older and not very efficient.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And given the total cost, which includes installation, IMO a homeowner would be nuts to buy used eqpt. I doubt pros would buy some unknown used HVAC eqpt either.

Reply to
trader_4