Securing terracotta

I just bought a very cool terracotta birdbath that I'd like to turn into a fountain. It comes in 2 parts, the basin, and the pedestal stand, which are both terracotta. The idea is that the basin is balanced on top of the stand, not 100% stable, since I also have the cat that curiosity killed, who will want to jump on top of the thing as soon as I put the basin onto the stand.

Anyone have any suggestions for a semi permanent method for improving the security of the stand on the pedestal? It doesn't have to be able to survive a 9.0 earthquake, but a little better than it is now would be great. I obviously don't want to drill + bolt it, and if I ever have to move the thing I'd like to be able to get the two pieces apart. Suggestions? Some kind of Caulking? [assume tack strips, screens, razor wire, automatic water squirters, slavering dobermans and other types of cat deterent devices are a non-ideal solution].

Thanks

Sue

Reply to
Sue

a thin bead of silicone. you can cut it with a razor knife to get it apart, if you ever want to.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer