Securing old pine flooring

I have some old (100+yr) pine flooring that is coming up -- specifically, the board is loose and the old cut nails keep popping up. When I tried to sink the nails, I only ended up cracking the board a bit.

What is the best way to secure the board? - What types of nails should I use? - Should I predill a bit to avoid cracking? - Should I try to pull out the old cut nails that are popping out?

Jeff

Reply to
blueman

Possibly pull up the loose nail, and replace it with a slightly bigger nail?

These guys make great cut nails (since 1819):

Due to the design of the nail, you "should" be able to just sink them without predrilling.

This is a good read:

-john

Reply to
John

Probably best to pre=drill then fasten with finish screws

-- manhattan4

----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile:

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to
manhattan42

you can cut or grind the head of a nail to look like it is a square nail, can't tell at all after its sunk.

Reply to
longshot

Yeah, 100 year-old pine (I presume yellow pine) is very hard. Predrill holes and see if you can find screw nails. They have finish nail heads but a coarse pitch thread on the shank.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes