Sealing flaking OSB

OSB was used instead of plywood for my roof. The OSB overhangs by about 12 inches on all sides of the house exposing the bottom to the air. Some water does get splashed on the OSB on 2 of the sides of the house during storms. The OSB has been flaking -- exfoliating. The OSB was painted, now I'm re-painting the house.

What can I do to help stop the flaking? I'd like to avoid building something under it. Is there something I can use before I put primer and topcoat down to try to seal it and keep it from eventually flaking away?

I've decided that it might be good to peel off some of the badly flaked pieces.

My house was built in 1987 and still has it's original paint.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:17:46 -0500, "Jeff" scribbled this interesting note:

Go buy some 1/4 or 1/2 inch plywood and attach it to the underside of the OSB and paint it. A urethane sealer will work well to attach the new plywood to the old OSB and then some good painter's caulk around the edges, prime and paint. Easy as could be...

John Willis