Sealing bare wood

A couple of benches on a roof top are bare wood, installed some time ago so they are weathered now. What's the best oil/sealer to use on them? I don't need any color, but would like to slow further weathering. It's important that nothing comes off on clothing, of course.

I had heard that Thompson's, which I had used in the past, had wax in it and therefore wasn't the best to use. Why would that be?

I realize that the application will be ongoing, but this is ok.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Ask for a penetrating stain when you go to the paint store.

Reply to
Lawrence

According to Charles Bishop :

Because the wax comes off on your clothing, and the Thompsons only lasts a year or two. It quite literally evaporates in my experience.

I believe the traditional finish for this is spar varnish. Has a moderate level of UV protection, and you can layer it on quite thick.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I use Penofin oil on outdoor furniture. Had UV protection, easy to apply, lasts for a couple of years. A good lumber yard or paint store should have it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A traditional, cheap timber preservative for centuries has been raw linseed oil. Cut back 50/50 with kerosene for the first couple of coats. Of course you will have to wait a while for it to soak in before sitting on it. Otherwise use an acrylic decking oil.

Reply to
Bill

Raw linseed oil will essentially never fully cure, even outside so would not recommend for this application where a non-staining finish is paramount.

For old wood w/ least amount of pretreatment (the oaxalic acid, scrub, etc., routine), I'd second Edwin's recommendation of Penofin.

Reply to
dpb