screeching garage door

Apparently, determining relevance isn't your strong suit.

You forgot to mention your "nice" shirt.

Quit pretending you're anything other than a delivery boy. You tote blueprints to and fro for engineers, while Bullisesquely attempting to impersonate an engineer on Usenet, all day, every working day.

Apparently, determining relevance isn't your strong suit.

I'm still focusing upon your worthless evaluation from Obliviousland.

My numerous effortless escapes support my assertions you're too stupid to operate a killfile.

Yeah, I'm stalking you...

Lol. I just point it out, and why you're wrong, then I "troll" you into making an even bigger idiot of yourself.

Abusing dimwits is my hobby, you know that (or should, by now).

Right, for a change, so STFU. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I bet that would work if you oiled it at the first sign of trouble. My hunch, and it is just a guess at this point since the OP did not specify, is that she just moved into the place and found the door in an unmaintained condition. My experience is that if a door is stiff/noisy and left that way for years, the best course of action is replacement parts - mine was so bad that one of the cables would slip off of its pulley because the pulley bearing was so loose and wobbly, also rollers would jump out of track for same reason (not to mention bent track) in a situation like that the door can literally be dangerous to open for an unaware person and/or person of limited strength.

If I'm wrong, and the OP has been in the house for a while and the door

*used* to work perfectly but now is noisy, you may be correct.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

rote:

vaseline turns to rock hard goo after awhile, oil or grease is cheap and available.

do not use vaseline!

Reply to
hallerb

again my 20 year old door had never been lubed, embarased to say i lived here the entire time and never gave it a thought till door got stiff and noisey.....

a little oil 2 years ago and its been fine ever since:)

YMMV

Reply to
hallerb

Cheaper than grease? Save up ear was and rub that in the track.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Vaseline Petroleum Jelly I put on my unheated attached garage's door tracks and bearings has been there for years. Temps around here can be below freezing in the winter and into the 90s (F) in the summer. It is in the same state of viscosity as when first applied.

Reply to
willshak

First tighten up all the bolts and carefully inspect all parts. Make track adjustments so that the wheels don't bind. You didn't say if you have a garage door opener or not, but some need a special grease. You can use a little heavy grease on wheels and track, but that is a bandage approach if wheels are not riding smoothly.

Reply to
Phisherman

The auto parts store near me sells lithium grease in a spray can. I bet that would work nicely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WD will give you a quick answer to the question "will lube quiet it". But the stuff evaporates off, in days to weeks. The next lube can be something more long lasting. Castle Thrust, and white lithium come to mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for all your responses.

I'll take a closer look at it but will probably try WD40 and if that quiets it, get the lithium grease.

Bonnie Jean

On Dec 9, 7:18=EF=BF=BDpm, "Bonnie Jean" wro= te:

start with lithium, contrary to popular belief WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a drying agent.

Reply to
hallerb