Scrap lumber - what to keep?

How do you decide what scrap lumber to keep? Is it just a matter of doing enough projects that you have an idea what you'll likely reuse? I hate to throw away a decent, solid 2x6 even if it had nails in it. Some stuff is just rotted, ugly, or otherwise unsuitable, a few things are obviously pristine (fresh 2x4s) or perfectly reusable (3/4" plywood). Most is just sort of in-between -- partial boards, half-foot scraps, etc. Pusher boards? Corner bracing? Jigs?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

matter of

likely reuse? I

nails in it. Some

things are

(3/4" plywood).

half-foot scraps,

MO (My Opinion): Here's how I do it; maybe it'll work for you too.

Is it expensive wood? N ope; but it's not cheap; I'll keep the longer/bigger pieces & toss the rest. Yup: Gotta keep that! Never know when it'll be handy! Maybe for that address bar for Aunt Jean.

Do I already have a storage place for similar sizes? OK, then it goes right there. Nope; but it's a nice in between size; I'll keep it. Nope: Hmm, if I did want to use it, it'd only be for jigs & supports; might ot might not keep.

Do I have a place for it? Nope; I'll have to make one soon - that's no way to store that! Yup; it can go right here. Nope; here's a good place for it. Nope; hmm, maybe I'll just stash it here & see if I ever use it. Wife won't like it, but ... Nope; Toss this one out, keep those, stash those somewhere.

What's been here the longest? Have I used any of it? Do I plan to? Or anything close to it? Maybe I should toss it out, then put that over there instead, and make twice the new room I need.

Hey, would those scraps make a good fire next winter? Yeah, plus, I get to keep them "just in case" that way.

Oh yeah, I promised wifey I'd toss that stuff and get her care in the garage someday. Yup, someday, that's just what I'll do! But not today!

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Keep it all, but keep it segregated by type in separate piles. When any pile gets higher than your head, remove enouigh material to be safe and start another pile. Keep the piles in a nice dry shed and add more sheds as necessary for new piles. When you run out of shed space, sell the place and move to the country where still more sheds are allowed. Remember to keep buyong more tools and materials to keep the flow going. Your friends and neighbors will be amazed at what a well adjusted personality you have. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Save it all. Anything you haven't used by the winter solstice goes on the bonfire. Start again for next year. Being pagan doesn't have many advantages, but this is one.

PS: Remember to save some fireworks from this weekend, too.

Reply to
Mitch Skool

If it's rotted, toss it.... If it's solid, keep it. Even those 8" 2x4 scraps are handy when you need to work on your car, to place under a tire when you jack it up, or to prop your mower when the kids toy gets caught in the blade. Anything longer can be used to build small projects, like bird houses and shelves. Plywood always makes nice shelves for the garage. WASTE NOT - WANT NOT.....

If all else fails, and you have a fireplace, burn the scraps....

Reply to
spamfree