salty water after water softeneer regeneration

I just put a new head on my softener and the water now tastes salty for the first few gallons after regeneration. This never happened with the old head, but I don't think it was really softening the water. It's an autotrol 255/440. Should I lower my salt setting, or check something else out?

Reply to
Talking Sam

It could be that its rinse cycle is too short, but it is not really healthy to drink salt softened water anyway (high sodium). In my sisters house the cold water was unsoftened (except toilets and clothes and dishwashers), and my mom's house has a separate kitchen spigot for unsoftened drinking water.

Reply to
David Efflandt

"David Efflandt" wrote

His control valve has no means to change the rinse or any other cycle length. His problem is more likely that the new valve is not set for his resin volume, salt dose, water use or quality; it's probably set as it came from the factory.

I don't agree with not softening all the water, nor the claim concerning softened water and sodium unless we establish some guidelines. Such as sodium restricted dieters and an amount of ion exchange like 20+ gpg. And then it depends on if the water is consumed and how much of the water is consumed.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser's Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates/phpBB2/

Reply to
Gary Slusser

"Talking Sam" wrote

Have you set the control valve for the volume and type of resin, your raw water quality and volume of use and then the regeneration schedule? If not you have to do that and it requires a water test for hardness and iron at least.