salt water pool

It will degrade the reinforcing steel in the concrete much faster, ditto steel pool furniture. You should have an outdoor shower for pool users to wash the salt off after they swim. I suggest researching the chlorine/bacteria issue a little more, it doesn't sound right to me. If you are trying to imitate seawater, it has about 3.5% dissolved minerals, mostly sodium chloride but also a little sodium sulfate and potassium and bromine salts, and many trace minerals. Most artificial ponds just use rock salt, but if you're a purist you can Google "sea salt" to find a source, just be sure to buy in bulk, or you will pay alot for the gourmet seasoning.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

The other pro is your friends will stop bothering you to come swim in your pool. ;^)

Reply to
JohnH

You still have to add chlorine for occasional superchlorination.

You will have a big electric bill instead of a big pool chemical bill.

Make sure the unit is warranted to deliver an effective ORP in your size pool.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I have been looking into converting my pool to salt water. The only real advantages that I can see are you no longer need to add Chlorine the system makes it's own. The other point is the water feels cleaner. So dose any body have pros and cons (besides the initial cost) on the salt water system..

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Salt water makes you float better.

Reply to
User Example

The salt in the pool water is not the sanitizer. An electrically powered electrolyzer generates chlorine in the circulation line with the salt being the electrolyte. The generated chlorine then provides the sanitation.

The salt concentration used is nowhere near as salty as sea water. Technically you would call it brackish.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

True, you use about 5-6 PPT salt vs about 38 PPT in the ocean.

The stuff you wash contact lenses is about 5 PPT

Reply to
gfretwell

Exactly... in fact, I was thinking about doing the opposite -- converting the ocean to freshwater (+/- chlorine).

To me sea water feels dirtier than lake water -- and I end up feeling salty and scummy afterwards until I take a nice long fresh water shower...

Reply to
blueman

Seawater does, but it also has sand, seaweed, plankton, and fish crap floating around in it. Would a pool feel the same way? I'd shower anyway after a swim. Even fresh water feels kind of chemically laden.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
5-6 sounds a bit high. I keep mine at about 3, per the mfg's recommended amount. You can barely notice the salt at all.
Reply to
akahler