Maytag v. Carrier furnace?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am a novice when it comes to HVAC. We ar planning to purchase a two-stage variable speed (side vent) gas furnac and have the decision down to 2 bids:

  1. Maytag 92% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty

  1. Carrier 94.5% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty but priced more than the Maytag

I have found lots of info on Carrier--so feel good about that product But we can't find a lot of info on Maytag. My husband feels that ther is probably no difference between the quality of the two products an wants to go with the cheaper Maytag. I am hesitant b/c they've onl been on the market for 4 years.

If you had to choose between the 2, which would it be, given the $60 price difference? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Bot installers are highly reputable (per Angie's List, our prior experienc and others' input).

Thanks, Stephani

-- StephanieKah

----------------------------------------------------------------------- StephanieKahl's Profile:

this thread:

StephanieKahl

Maytag made by Nordyne. Given choice I would go with Carrier, also Maytag is not a bad product. If you want to save $600 Maytag would work well.

Reply to
Brian

What's your anual heating bill? 2.5% more effecient should be a no brainer if you live in a heavy use area, will pay for itself very quickly. Even if they were equal I would still opt for the Carrier, that's what Carrier does, let Maytag make their washers and driers.

Reply to
Brian V

call the utility and ask for the highest and lowest previous bill for the home. It will only be a guide but you will have an idea of what to expect this winter.

I believe I would call some more contractors and get another price for a different make

Reply to
SQLit

We just moved into the house at the end of spring, so I do not have an accurate idea of heating costs.

Thanks for the feedback.

--Stephanie

Reply to
StephanieKahl

================= Great timming ....I was sitting here reading this post when my son called ... he was taking a break at work... and he installs HVAC equiptment...as well as repairs them So I asked him...which would he install.

Simple answer... flip a coin... he has no complaints about either brand...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am a novice when it comes to HVAC. We are planning to purchase a two-stage variable speed (side vent) gas furnace and have the decision down to 2 bids:

  1. Maytag 92% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty

  1. Carrier 94.5% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty but priced 0 more than the Maytag

I have found lots of info on Carrier--so feel good about that product. But we can't find a lot of info on Maytag. My husband feels that there is probably no difference between the quality of the two products and wants to go with the cheaper Maytag. I am hesitant b/c they've only been on the market for 4 years.

If you had to choose between the 2, which would it be, given the $600 price difference? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Both installers are highly reputable (per Angie's List, our prior experience and others' input).

Thanks, Stephanie

-- StephanieKahl

------------ StephanieKahl's Profile:

this thread:

Boots

We went with Carrier. We realized that the Maytag bid didn't include the price of a new humidifier, although the contractor threw it in at no charge to be competitive. And we figure we'll recoup the $200 difference (after figuring for the price of a humidifier) within a year on our gas bill.

Thanks for all the input. Now I know where to go when I have a question or two or twenty.

--Stephanie

Reply to
StephanieKahl