Safety Valve for Gas Range

I've installed a few before but my son recently bought a new place and said that the gas company turned of just his oven (not the burners) saying that there was a seperate safety valve just for the oven that needed to be replaced. I've never heard of such a thing and wondered if anyone else has.

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Kimmerly

How ovens work -

gas valve they refer to is often called a safety valve. There are other FAQs on ovens there also

Be aware it might not be the valve. Sometimes the igniter can get hot enough to open the safety valve part way but not hot enough to ignite the gas (some safety feature). Happened to me. In that case you get the gas smell but no flame. THe fix is to replace the igniter not the valve. THis was a 4 year old oven.

When you do replace the valve be sure to call the gas company out for a reinspection. Should your house ever burn down the insurance company goes first to the gas company to look for non-compliancies. You want to make sure your non-compliancy is cleared off their records.

Reply to
jmagerl