Running wire to outside

I'm installing a 20A GFCI receptacle on my 4x4 deck post using the proper weather proof box and cover. I plan to run 12-2 UF wire from my garage subpanel (about 40ft.) to it, the GFCI outlet will have it's own

20A breaker. BTW; The subpanel is on a 50A main breaker using 6/3 with ground cable; really doesn't have much on it, other than a 50 gallon water heater on a 30A double pole and also garage receptacles, five fluorescent strip lights, couple outside wall lights which are on a seperate 20A breaker.

But, I'm confused; Do I need to run the wire through conduit? It's not going to be close to the ground or anywhere close to where it might get damaged. What about when I run the wire through the floor sill (inside a wall) of the garage to outside? Do I need to protect the wire? If so, could I just run the wire through ordinary short piece of 1/2" CPVC pipe? The GFCI outlet is for a pool pump motor, which draws about 13.5 amps and will be running about 12 hours a day. I don't want to violate any NEC codes. Thanks for the help

Reply to
Phillip77776666

You can use UF, and should sleeve it in PVC where subject to physical damage, however wiring for swimming pools and related equipment carry their own code requirements depending upon type and size of the pool

Reply to
RBM

Check with your electrical inspector to see what's required in your area. There are some codes that require an outlet near the pool (so you're not using extension cords) and how far away from the water it must be. My pool's 240 v. subpanel is fed from the house's main panel through and between the basement ceiling joists, then through the sill to an access junction box, and then down and underground to the pool panel attached to the side of the pool house. Total distance is about 75'. It is in pvc pipe the entire distance between the two electrical panels, and was installed by an electrician and inspected and approved by the electrical inspector. All the GFCI breakers are in the pool's subpanel, not the main panel. I also run the electricity for the pool house from this subpanel.

Reply to
willshak

I could just tell you what you already read in the NEC for underground feeders, and pool equipment, but then it might not apply.

Your local codes could have more restrictive requirements. Check with your local code enforcement.

Good luck,

Tom @

Tom The Great