Running compressed air through firewall?

My shop in the basement next to the garage. The top 8" of the shop wall is also the bottom 8" of the garage wall. I would like to leave my air compressor in the garage and put somesort of pipe in the wall; connect the compressor to the pipe in the garage, and an air hose to the pipe in the shop. I don't know much about either fire walls or air piping, but want to do it safely. Maybe I am making too much out of this, and a piece of 3/8" iron pipe with proper fittings is all that is required. But maybe it has to be more elaborate. Any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Toller

Just do it. If the hole is larger than the iron pipe fill it with mortar or hydraulic cement.

RB

Toller wrote:

Reply to
RB

Look for some "Fire Caulking". 3M and Hilti make it, probably others. You put it in and around the hole you make for the pipe. In the event of a fire the caulking swells up and creates a smoke seal around the pipe.

Reply to
Burnt Eddy

I agree. Steel dont burn, and the cement will seal the hole. The hydraulic cement is a little more costly, but is real easy to use. Total cost should be under $20, not including other piping.

Reply to
spamfree

Forget about the fancy caulking, just drill your hole slightly oversize of the pipe. The steel pipe will block the hole, lets face it how much smoke or fire is going to go through the 1/8th inch clearence around your pipe? We run gaslines through firewalls all the time. Just don't get stupid with the size of the hole you drill.

Reply to
Paul James

Then you are a stupid installer, and need to be corrected in the manner of your lazy, and illegal installs.

Reply to
CBhVAC:)