Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper

The side walls of our garage are essentially floor to ceiling industrial steel shelving (18" deep, 42" wide adjustable shelves). Most shelves are only about 8" distant from their vertical neighbors (I have lots of 18x10x6" boxes that I use sort of as "drawers",

4 per shelf)

So, there is lots of nice, hard metal that the car doors would LOVE to bang into upon opening!

As a hack, I took a 2" diameter half-round, fastened it to the shelf closest to the driver's door (i.e., the door that sees the most use) and covered it with one of those foam "water pipe insulators". Thus, when the door is inevitably opened too far, it bumps into the soft foam and doesn't risk damaging the paint, etc.

This idea won't work in the long run -- it does nothing for the other doors AND the 2" diameter half round (coupled with an extra half inch of pipe insulation foam) effectively narrows the opening between shelves so I have a hard time getting my "box drawers" in/out.

I don't imagine (?) anyone makes a FASTENABLE strip of rubber that I could use in place of this kludge? (the shelves are

1.25" thick so that's the ideal maximum "height" of such a bumper)

It's too tight a radius to imagine that I could GLUE a sheet of rubber onto a (wood?) substructure -- and expect it to *stay* for any length of time!

I don't think "dip" would work given the percussive nature of the "blows" that it would encounter from the car door(s).

So, am I stuck trying to make a smaller (diameter) version of what I've already made? E.g., perhaps a 1/2" half round with a length of "pipe insulation" for 1/2" pipe adhered to this?

Or, maybe a *car* molding?? (in the past, I've seen some side moldings that were soft plastic-ish and might tolerate that sort of abuse (as they'd encounter in a parking lot).

Reply to
Don Y

Screw on a piece of garden hose or auto heater hose.??? Just a thought!

Reply to
RealPerson