router

I have a craftsman router mounted on a craftsman router table. After using it for a short time it becomes impossible to adjust the bit height due to sawdust buildup in the router housing. If you've had this problem - any fixes?

Thanks, mc

Reply to
Mike Cummins

Yes, I gave it away and bought a new Bosch router and good table. The Craftsman became frustrating after a while and the table very limiting is size because the fence could not move back far enough for many cuts.

I bought the Benchdog table

Not cheap, but if you use it enough, easily justified. We're talking the difference between a Yugo and a Lamborghini.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've the same problem with the router; although, my table is a home brew. Only preventive maintenance and the use of a vacuum system to prevent the sawdust from going down into the router during operation helps but doesn't prevent. Anything you can do to prevent sawdust going down on top of the router while mounted on the table will help.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

I was just thinking vacuum system.

I need to pickup a router table myself. However, I have a craftsman router too (probably older than I am - built when craftsman power tools were respectable).

Are there any tables with build in vac tubes/connections? or is it something you have to retrofit.

c_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Most tables have no connection below, but many have a connection on the fence. You need both for thorough collection. Look at the fence on a Benchdog. I can put my shop vac on it and collect most of the chips from doing edge treatments, round overs, etc. When you are cutting a slot, the dust goes either out the end of the slot or drops below the table. You need something there also. Often a 4' hole is cut for that.

Check out

and
to see some good fences.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd probably just blast it out with compressed air.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

============================= I question what you describe as a short period of time... I have a number of router tables all with different routers attached and yes sometimes one will clog up and become "stiff" etc when adjusting ...BUT ...not after a short time...

Simple solution is to grab the air hose and blow out the saw dust...

OR modify your table to be more efficient in collecting dust...which will just lengthen the time it takes before the routers adjustment mechanism gets clogged...

Like Ed ...my main router table also is a benchdog...well worth the money...even though I also had to put in a second DC port under the table...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.